General Discussion Race Reports! » Fox Cities Kimberly Clark 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Fox Cities Kimberly Clark 1/2 Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Menasha, Wisconsin
United States
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 16m 31s
Overall Rank = 1679/2635
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:40 am, shower, coffee, Diet Pepsi and some cereal. Grabbed my stuff and out the door to find a parking place to ride the shuttle bus from the end to the start. Got to the start at about 6:05 am. Used the bathroom, drank some h20 and diet Pepsi in a nice quiet student study type room with a few others while the masses roamed the halls of the university waiting to head outside. I stretched a bit too.
Event warmup:

No warm up unless you call jogging from a porto pottie to the start line warming up. ;) I wore gloves too... hands get numb when temps are under 55 ish. I threw them off though at around 5 miles. Foggy at first, then sun came out and warmed things up.
Run
  • 2h 16m 31s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I worked on mental aspects of the run. Whenever I get worried about how fast I'm going, my hr spikes. So I chilled. Passed and got passed by the same few people for lots of the race. Awesome crowd and volunteer support! Loved the high 5's from kiddos along side the road - made me feel like a rock star! Lots of radio stations, bands, and cheer sections welcomed runners. And some really funny posters spectators had made. I 'slow ran' thru h2o stations, never had to pee, ate a gel (chocolate) I had on my race belt so didn't walk/stop at all except to let an ambulance through an intersection. (and when I stopped for that...I could feel the fatigue in my legs as I started back up) Felt pretty good through out the run but towards the last 3 miles, my legs were like lead weights and my quads were aching/almost cramping. I tried kicking my heels back to my butt to release the tension but to no avail...plus, by then, my kick backs were pretty lame anyhow as the overall steam in the engine was running low. One bummer though was I lost my asthma inhaler along the way and didn't realize it til i got home...there goes 38 bucks. I could not seem to find my oomph to pick up the pace at the end going into the finish...but I didn't fall so that was a good thing ;)
What would you do differently?:

do more lonnnnnng training runs to build endurance/strength for when I needed it to add a little kick at the end going into the finish line.
Post race
Warm down:

Really crowded at end. Stood forever waiting to get food and out the door (well, like 20 mins). Sweated like a piglet and drank a water. Wanted to MOOOO like a cow being herded with all the people jammed up like that. I got a few cramps in my gut while standing around and for the rest of the day had some stomach pain but not sure if that was from the run or from something my son had (he was barfing later in the day so not sure if we had a little buggish thing going on)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of any sort of speed training. My goal was to finish and run the whole thing. Next year... either I'll work on some speed OR go for the full mary (maybe the 1/2 has made me too light headed to think straight!)

Event comments:

I was not a fan of the 1/2 going off an hour earlier this year (at 7 am) vs 8 am with the full mary. Who wants to eat Arby's at 9 am anyhow? I grabbed a mini muffin. Overall though this is a great race, home town feel, great crowds, great volunteer support, and I recommend it to anyone looking to race in Wisconsin during a beautiful Fall day!

Last updated: 2009-09-18 12:00 AM
Running
02:16:31 | 13.1 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/2635
Performance: Good
Course: Flat course except for some overpasses that wanders through neighborhoods, along lakeshores, through parks etc...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-21 4:50 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: Fox Cities Kimberly Clark 1/2 Marathon

2009-09-24 12:09 AM
in reply to: #2418557

User image

Extreme Veteran
Green Bay, WI
Subject: RE: Fox Cities Kimberly Clark 1/2 Marathon
Congratulations on the race and running the whole thing! I am not coordinated enough to run AND drink at the same time.....I spill all over myself no matter how I bend the cup. And Gatorade stings when it gets in the eyes! The kids and getting bussed to the start made me feel kind of like a star....there we were on Sunday morning before 6am, still dark out, and getting a ride to our race. Maybe a little crazy, too!

Maybe we'll both be doing the full together next year, or at least the half again. I have such a hard time with my hip bursitis and tight hip flexors so I need to figure that out before I think about the full too much. We'll plan more in advance next year so we can actually meet up Smile.
2009-09-24 10:40 AM
in reply to: #2423457

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: RE: Fox Cities Kimberly Clark 1/2 Marathon
well, i never said anything about NOT spilling water all over myself! ha ha! And I don't do Gatorade... esp. if supplied at a race...EEEEEEEEW - makes my stomach cringe.

Take care of ye hips there Missy! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fox Cities Kimberly Clark 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed