General Discussion Race Reports! » Brett Robinson Alabama Coastal Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Brett Robinson Alabama Coastal Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Gulf Shores, Alabama
United States
Team Magic
79F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 49m 38s
Overall Rank = 27/85
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Same as usual. Get up, eat, get to the race, set up transition. Hung out with hubby on the beach while the tri-it-on race got started.
Event warmup:

Dynamic stretching on the beach, got a little bit into the water just to test it out.
Swim
  • 26m 6s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had a great swim. I just love ocean swims for some reason. I think I actually find the waves relaxing instead of frightening like some people.

I dove into the waves on the way out. But once we got out there, it was very difficult to see the buoys because we were headed into the sun, but I just followed the yellow swim caps. I was a little worried about jelly fish, but thankfully none got me. I am so glad that I can breathe on both sides. This really came in handy for me for sighting. I guess I noticed it more in this race because of the longer distance. I really loved the longer swim. The sprint distance swims I just feel like I barely get wet before I'm done. This one was nice and longer and I loved it.

Would have been 5/7 if I had raced AG.
What would you do differently?:

Might could have pushed it a little harder.
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

Felt a little slow coming through transition, I think I was just a little more sluggish than I'm used to coming into T1.

Practice. It would be nice if at the pool when I'm done with my swim, I could like leap out of the pool and start sprinting while pealing out of my goggles and cap. I don't think the lifeguard would like that too much though. :D
Bike
  • 1h 18m 12s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.07 mile/hr
Comments:

This course was very flat except for going over and back one bridge. It was a little rough though because of potholes and fill-ins. It was insanely hot. The heat index got up to 99 and we were on asphalt so even worse - plus NO shade so triple whammy. Usually around my house, I take my two water bottles, and I come home with 1/2 to 1 of the bottles still with water. I had to start rationing the water out on this course and still ran out with a mile and a half to go. No good.

I took a GU 15 min in and 1 hour in on the bike. I rode at a nice hard but not overly hard pace. The sand/salt in the crotch got a rather annoying pretty quickly. If I do a HIM or IM in the ocean, I'll have to be sure to change in T1. The sand/salt would be a definite no go for that much mileage.

Overall, I had a good ride and I felt good during it.

Would have been 2/7 if I had raced AG.

Either take more water or not drink too much too early.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Smooth transition.

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 01m 55s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh egads! It was SOOOO hot!! Remember the previously mentioned triple whammy on the bike - well now all that plus I was moving much more slowly so less wind factor so even HOTTER!! PLUS, all the race info said drink stations every 1 mile on the run, but they lied! It was an out and back course, and there was a drink station at mile 1 and then not again until the turn around! Since I was expecting 1 every mile, I took a GU at mile 2 and had no water to swig it down with so my throat was all gross and sticky and burning. You could see people just shutting down, cramping, bonking, and actually a few passed out. As far as I'm concerned, not having as many drink stations as stated in the race material, especially in such hot conditions is dangerous and inexcusable. I definitely would have taken some water with me on the run if I had only known. Be honest in the race material!! People (including me) were livid! Several people had to be taken away in ambulances. It was really not good.

Anyways, as for me, the miles in between the the aid stations were like slow torture. I just had to keep telling myself to put one foot in front of the other. Just keep going. It was by far the hardest run I've ever done. Thank goodness there weren't any hills or my heart may have exploded. Some how, I don't know where the strength came from, but I managed to spring the last bit to the finish line and nearly tripped over a timing rug that was about 20 feet before the actual timing run (no idea what it was doing there). Thank goodness I'm so stubborn or I just don't think I would have made it. When I crossed the finish line, I was just so happy to not have to run any more. I was dizzy and crazy crazy hot (probably mild heat exhaustion), but I finished. Whew.

Take some water with me! If only I had known!!
Post race
Warm down:

Take shelter in the only shade available - the medical tent, but refuse to sit down as to not freak out my sister and husband. Poor over my body and drink a bottle of water in record time and beg for more. Again emptying in record time. There were some showers on the beach that I stood under. Oh, that felt nice. Stretched some after I regained my composure. Ate and drank my fill. I realized 2 hours after the race that I hadn't peed since the beginning of the race and that freaked me out because I usually have to pee just about as soon as I get done. I drank like crazy the rest of the day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of fluids was the biggest thing. Also, staying cool is super important and I know that so I count on those aide stations. I guess I'll know for next time (if I ever do this race again).

Event comments:

Pretty well ran. Just the lack of drinks was pretty ridiculous.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-04-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:06 | 1640 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 33/85
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Point-to-point, lots of waves, very slight current with us.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:18:12 | 24.85 miles | 19.07 mile/hr
Overall: 26/85
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back with an extra out and back branch.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:01:55 | 06.21 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 32/85
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-09-21 8:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Bessemer, AL
Subject: Brett Robinson Alabama Coastal Triathlon

2009-09-21 9:25 PM
in reply to: #2418951

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Brett Robinson Alabama Coastal Triathlon
nice job out there, it was definitely a scorcher.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brett Robinson Alabama Coastal Triathlon Rss Feed