General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-22 7:43 AM

User image

Expert
Alabama
Subject: Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri
I'm looking at both and trying to decide.  I'm leaning toward the Santa Rosa Island Tri, which will be a bit longer course.  Curious as to thoughts on them?  I'll sign up for one or the other.

I read some bad things about the Emerald Island Tri's in Panama City held at Spinniker Beach, that's a possability, but didn't want to go to an unorganized mess either.

2013-05-27 9:15 PM
in reply to: pilotzs

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Subject: RE: Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri
I use to live in FWB. I've done the SRI Tri and that one was fun! Never did the Grab Trap though.

2013-05-27 11:35 PM
in reply to: #2419407

User image

Subject: RE: Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri
I plan on doing the SriTri. I just did the Pensacola Beach Tri last weekend and I think the courses are basically the same. Except that the SriTri swim is in the Gulf instead of the sound. I'm pretty excited about it. Pensacola Beach is beautiful. And the bike course is flat and fast.
2013-05-28 9:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
I live in PC and not sure which specific race there you are referring to. The White Sands Sprint held in spring and fall is well organized USAT sanctioned event. The Gulf Coast Tri is a 70.3 held at Boardwalk Beach Resort (3 weeks ago) on the IMFL course and is one of the oldest standing races in country. Widely considered a great race and many do it as tuneup for IMFL (same swim but just one lap). I have heard good things about the Destin Tri in August (sprint)- you should also check out the Beach Blast series in Mexico Beach- they have a spring and fall sprint and Oly distances each time. Good luck.
2013-05-28 5:00 PM

User image

I did the SRITri 2 years ago and enjoyed it. I wasn't really deep into triathlon at the time and didn't post any respectable times but I found it well organized and enjoyable. The food/beer/party afterwards was also fun. The swim course is pretty cool, with the added benefit being that you get to have some fun with body-surfing in. The run course had pretty cool scenery and want through a beach house neighborhood with lots of people cheering. I'd definitely do it again!! I don't know how much hotels are on the beach (I lived in downtown Pensacola at the time), but a tip to save money would be to find a hotel in Pensacola (rather than on the beach) and just drive across the bridge in the morning.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri Rss Feed