General Discussion Race Reports! » Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Full Redman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Full Redman - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
United States
Oklahoma Redman Triathlon
Total Time = 13h 45m 9s
Overall Rank = 112/181
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/5
Pre-race routine:

Slept in until 5:00am. Ate my bagel with honey, banana and yogurt on the way to the race site. I was glad I had dropped off my T1 & T2 bags and bike on Friday so I had very little to set up, just had to get my wetsuit on.
Swim
  • 1h 23m 21s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

It started raining about 30 minutes before race start and they announced that the bike route was flooding. The race was delayed for 45 minutes for a decision to be made regarding the bike portion with a swim-run-swim being mentioned as the contingency plan. That didn't seem like such a bad plan considering that I had never ridden my tri bike in the rain and wasn't really looking forward to it. But I also thought about how much time I had spent these last six months training for the bike portion and I knew I was ready for the 112 miles. Thankfully, the decision was made to have athletes dismount for a few yards of flooded roadway and continue the race as otherwise planned. I was so relieved and happy not to have my race taken away by mother nature. At the start I was cold enough from the rain (which let up for a while) that the water felt blessedly warm. I have never had a more RELAXED open water swim in my life. I started in back and had space from the beginning. I ran into a few people, but wasn't clobbered myself at all. The water seemed a little choppier on the second loop, but was still nearly ideal. I didn't feel like I was exerting hardly any effort for the majority of the swim even though I matched my best HIM swim pace.
What would you do differently?:

I only had tinted goggles so it was a little hard to see. I need to keep some clear ones in my bag for rainy swim starts.
Transition 1
  • 08m 29s
Comments:

My T1 items were soaked. It was really hard to get the bike shorts on wet legs. I was so glad though I had packed a light rain/wind jacket just in case. It was perfect for the conditions and I never got cold, which is basically a miracle for me.
Bike
  • 6h 58m 1s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.08 mile/hr
Comments:

I stayed focused on trying to average 16mph. This ride seemed to go very fast. I had a blast riding in the rain, although I also tried to be very cautious of turns and braking. Eventually the rain did let up and the sun came out. I left my long sleeved under armour shirt on though to prevent sun burn since I was so wet in T1 sunscreeen would've been impossible. I actually tanned though the shirt though and saw several people with bad burns. I didn't want to run a marathon with a sunburn. I had such a great ride. I didn't get the "Get me off this bike!" feeling I've had in races before. I was very comfortable (except for the wet shorts) and didn't feel fatigued at all. I kept thinking about how I hadn't planned on actually having so much fun for my 1st Ironman.

Probably nothing. I stayed spot on with nutrition and met my 16mph goal.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

This took longer than 53 seconds. My T2 items were only damp, so that was nice.

Put my running shorts on before my shoes. I had to take my shoes off again to change shorts.
Run
  • 5h 14m 24s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m  min/mile
Comments:

I was most nervous about this part of the race since I was coming back from a lower leg and side of leg injury. My longest training run in the weeks before was only 12 miles. I have only ran one other marathon back in 2007. My injuries didn't bother me at all and I was so thankful to be able to run almost the entire marathon portion, except walking the water stops and a few rounds of 5/1 run/walk intervals. The bad part was that all of the puddles soaked my shoes and socks and made them so heavy they pulled my shin muscles and I had to vasaline an emerging blister on the bottom of my foot every loop. I did feel a little nauseous between miles 13-15 and 25-26, but had run through much worse. I think I drank too much water. I was really surprised that I didn't really have any low moments. I wasn't overly anxious to get it over with or to have the run be done. I was just savoring the experience. I was almost sad to only get to run 1 1/2 loops in the dark and to have the whole experience over with so quickly.

Compression socks on BOTH legs. My left calf had one from my injury and that shin barely hurt. Chew ice instead of drinking so much water.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around after the finish and sat almost an hour to try to calm my stomach. It hurt a little for the next day and a half. I did finally gather all my gear and get a massage which felt really good. I even got a little hungry and went with my Mom to TGI Fridays for some chicken strips at midnight.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Considering my running injuries, I have no regrets or complaints about performance. If I had lighter shoes, I do think I may have been a little faster.

Event comments:

I think this was a great choice for me. I raced the HIM the year before, so was comfortable with the course and logistics. I look back at all of the early morning workouts and long solo rides and can be glad of the outcome.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:23:21 | 4224 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/181
Performance: Good
Suit: Full sleeve
Course: 2 loops in Lake Hefner
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:29
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:58:01 | 112 miles | 16.08 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: 2 Loops. Some hills with flat sections between. Very rough pavement in some places.
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:14:24 | 26.2 miles | 12m  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: 4 loops on a paved trail with some sections covered with an inch or more of water and marshy grass on the side.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-23 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Full Redman

2009-09-23 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2422284

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Full Redman

Sounds like the race went just as you had planned...nice job!  Running in wet socks was not fun...I have major blisters to show for it.  Anyway, congratulations on the 2nd AG finish Ironwoman!

2009-09-26 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2422284

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
Subject: RE: Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Full Redman
Great race - congratulations! I'm with you on the almost-cancellation; that would have been devastating. And that chilly rain and bike conditions really did make for a tough bike; nice job on keeping on track through all of that.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oklahoma City Redman Triathlon - Full Redman Rss Feed