OffnRunning
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 4s
Overall Rank = 28/189
Age Group = 45-49M
Age Group Rank = 1/11
Pre-race routine:

Didn't sleep good (again), got up, ate ww bagel and banana, drank some water, and packed my gear in the truck. Drove the 35 minutes to Tanglewood.
Arrived, got my chip, got marked, and set up my T area. Race# 23.
Event warmup:

For some reason, I just wasn't fired up for this one, so I got the MP3 out and went for a short run with Led Zep! This helped. Ran the first 1/2 mile of the course and back. Introduced myself to BT'er Jeff (jkbostic). Went for a short spin on the bike, then swam about 150 yards to burn-in the swim muscles. Listened to the national anthem by a live choir group, and was ready to go!
Swim
  • 07m 55s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

I submitted a time of 5:55 thinking I would slide ahead of all the racers with 6:00 times. Don't know what happened here, but I caught the swimmer in front of me in the first 2 laps! It was hard to pass without going head on into the swimmer coming up/down the other side of the lane. Finally got by at the turn. I ran up onto 2 others like this - even had to stop and do breastroke so I wouldn't climb up their backs. Bring on OW swims; this pool stuff sucks!
What would you do differently?:

Maybe lie about my time to get ahead of those that lied about their times!
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

T1 - what can I say..the run from the pool to my bike was Xterra! We had to run from concrete, through mud/grass, through sharp stones, to asphalt. When I finally did get to my bike, I found myself chatting w/others about the pool swim.. duhhh Mark, this is a race! get going and stop talking!!!

No real problems here, just need to get faster putting on my shoes and shut my mouth!
Bike
  • 40m 47s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.65 mile/hr
Comments:

It took about 200 yards before I got my shoes in the stupid CAGES! In all, 3 racers passed me and I passed 3. I followed a gal for most of the bike. I would catch up on the downhills, and she would stretch out her lead on the uphills. I finally passed her on the last downhill, which made me feel good! Well, this story wasn't over yet!!

I felt pretty good on the bike...just lost some valuable seconds on the start. According to my bike computer, we road longer than 12 miles...it was closer to 13, so my real pace was closer to normal.
Transition 2
  • 00m 33s
Comments:

Easy 1-2-3 here!

Nada
Run
  • 38m 13s
  • 4.5 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew after about 1/2 mile, this wasn't going to be my best run. I cramped up in my right calf, then biker gal blew by me! I remember saying something kind as she passed me, but I was really thinking how bad my legs felt and maybe I shouldn't have pushed past her in the bike.

Man, people were passing me like I was standing still! I struggled through the gravel paths and stumbled into the trails. I finally got my second wind on the trails and finished pretty strong in the last little bit.

Note to myself: Don't attempt 2 tris within 2 weeks of each other until you have put in some serious running miles!
Post race
Warm down:

Congrats with BT'er Jeff (jkbostic), and Paul and James - fellow tri club members. Grabbed some gatoraide, some good tacos, and some Krispy Kreme donuts! Ummmmmmmmm!! Chatted with fellow racers. Walked 1/4 mile back to truck, then back to the finish again.

Was surprised when they called my name for 2nd place in the Masters group! My first hardware! (well, not hardware exactly; the prize was a nylon bag with 2 of those foam beer can holders inside!) LOL!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more rest before events! I was lacking motivation at the start and endurance at the end.

Event comments:

Several things to note about this race:
1. Although this was the 8th Wake Forest tri, it was the first at Tanglewood. I think the organizers did a good job given that fact.
2. I still don't know if I swam 400 Yards or Meters??
3. Great support and traffic control!
4. I think the T-area was supposed to be closer to the pool in the grassy area, but due the heavy rains before the event, they moved it to the parking lot.
5. Funny, I don't FEEL like I'm in the Masters group!!! LOL!!

Last updated: 2005-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:55 | 400 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 25/189
Performance: Below average
Suit: tri shorts
Course: up and back in the same lane - 400 meters
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:33
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:47 | 12 miles | 17.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 28/189
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: rolling hills/country roads
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:38:13 | 04.5 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 43/189
Performance: Below average
Course: mixed bag of asphalt roads, gravel paths, horse trails, and open golf course!
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?