General Discussion Race Reports! » Cycle Sales and Redex Industries Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cycle Sales and Redex Industries Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Youngstown, Ohio
Youngtown YMCA
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 48m
Overall Rank = 89/96
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/5
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5. Showered, drank a cup of coffee and treated myself to an English muffin with butter and jam and a cup of juice. Grabbed another cup of coffee for the road and checked and rechecked my list to make sure I had everything. Took 2 imodium hoping to prevent any problems on the run.
Event warmup:

Setting up. As I pulled my bike out of the van I discovered that the front tire was flat. Fortunately one of the sponsors was the very nice bike shop and they fixed me up. By the time I got my transition area set up and my body marked it was time to start.
Swim
  • 09m 30s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Loved the pool swim. My only other experience is an open water swim that really freaked me out. Plus, it was really fun to see people in the water. The guy two lanes over seemed to be walking in the water- I could see his legs hanging down to the bottow of the pool. The woman in another lane was breast-stroking and going as fast as my freestyle.
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

T1 seemed pretty easy. I just put on my helmet, sunglasses, threw some gels in my pocket, and went.

Bike
  • 1h 00m 59s
  • 14 miles
  • 13.77 mile/hr
Comments:

Once I got on the course, I realized that everyone else seemed to have put something warmer on at T1. Wearing my tank and shorts did feel a bit chilly at first, but I was so nervous about the bike course, that I didnt' pay much attention to cold arms.

Hills, hills, hills. I thought I had done a good job of riding hills near my house, but I was not prepared for the number, steepness, or length of these hills. Several times I realized I was already in granny gear and was just going to have to push through it. I kept thinking, "just keep spinning, just keep spinning". Took one wrong turn in the park so I had to climb back up the hill and ask another racer which way we were supposed to go. I haven't put my bike computer on my new bike, so it was hard to gauge how far I had gone. When I finally came out of the park, I was ecstatic, because I knew that it would literally all be downhill from there.

I haven't figured out how to drink and ride at the same time, so I did make 1 stop and ate a gel and washed it down.
What would you do differently?:

practice hills
mount bike computer
learn to go faster
learn to ride clipless (got the shoes and pedals, just chicken to use them)

Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

threw on my hat and went. They had a drink station set up just past T2, so I stopped, ate another gel and drank a cup of water. I did try to talk with gel in my mouth and it came out completely unintelligable.
Run
  • 35m 4s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I was so happy that I had survived the bike, I figured a 3.1 mile run was nothing. My legs felt fine from the get-go. I even passed a runner (and got passed by several). There was only 1 drink station- I could have used more to drink. I was really happy I didn't have to stop and walk.
What would you do differently?:

Push myself a bit harder- I think I probably could have gone a bit faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate my powerbar and a banana. Drank lots of water and some gatorade. One nice thing about having it based at the Y is that I got to take a shower and change back into real clothes before the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience with hills, bike handling

Event comments:

I overheard someone else talk about taking the same wrong turn on the bike course- that should have been better marked. At the pre-race meeting they did show a DVD of the course and I thought that was really helpful.

Last updated: 2005-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:30 | 400 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 74/96
Performance: Average
Suit: tri shorts, under armour bra, tank
Course: My lane partner and I stayed even the entire race. I lost track of which lap I was on and thought I had heard the lap counter say, "one more lap to go, Debi". I just watched my lane partner and when I saw him lift himself out of the water, I knew I was done too.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:44
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:00:59 | 14 miles | 13.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 85/96
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: From downtown (ew, gross, boarded up buildings, scary bridges) into Mill Creek Park. Steep hills, hairpin turns, but beautiful scenery.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:35:04 | 03.1 miles | 11m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 91/96
Performance: Good
Course: Run through depressing downtown Youngstown. The scenery was really bad...broken glass, cracked sidewalks, boarded up buildings.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-23 1:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio
Subject: Cycle Sales and Redex Industries Sprint

2005-05-23 2:12 PM
in reply to: #161903

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Cycle Sales and Redex Industries Sprint
Good race and a fine report. I have the same problem with hills and don't have any to train on. I have also made a wrong turn and I remember being so mad. Its not like I am fighting for a trophy (slow guy in a fast age group) but it really fired me up. Once I got back on course I biked harder than ever. Good work.

Ken
2005-05-23 3:18 PM
in reply to: #161903

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Cycle Sales and Redex Industries Sprint
Nice race!!

In my tri...I made a wrong turn on the bike...and someone followed me...we went straight and should have Yed to the Left. They had so many marked but this spot was confusing.

Glad you enjoyed your pool swim. OW is difficult for me too.

Sounds like you paced yourself well so you had enough in your tank to run....great job!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cycle Sales and Redex Industries Sprint Rss Feed