General Discussion Race Reports! » Kring and Chung Newport Beach Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kring and Chung Newport Beach Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Newport Beach, CA
United States
Pacific Sports, LLC
66F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 32m 51s
Overall Rank = 448/669
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 17/25
Pre-race routine:

Setup trans, got marked, and went to the potty
Event warmup:

Swam about 100 yards in the water to just get the blood flowing
Swim
  • 17m 18s
  • 804 meters
  • 02m 09s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was pretty good, I tried the dive into the water approach, and was pretty successful. It was a good swim, I actually had guys drafting off of me this time!!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I was satisfied!
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

This was pretty good. I got a little stuck in the heels of the suit, but overall it was a good T1. I did the cyclocross mount successfully.

go a little faster!
Bike
  • 37m 19s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.29 mile/hr
Comments:

I hated the course. Too many turns. when they said flat, I guess they think 3% climbs are flat... There was also too much traffic and chances for collision. I have been on better bike courses I guess.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Got a little hung up on putting my runnning shoes on, but I was much faster than T1.

remember to tighten both of my shoes.
Run
  • 35m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

This is one of my best runs of the year considering that I still have ITBS issues.. I kept it nice and slow..and there was absolutely no ITBS pain...Thank god! So many people passed me on the run, but it does not bother me anymore. I also saw a couple people from the Desert Int/Sprint race that I did. That was cool.

again..not have ITBS
Post race
Warm down:

well, I consider the run to be my cool down because I went so slow.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

ITBS

Event comments:

The run course was the same as the OC Marathon 5k course. That was really cool. I was very comfortable on the run because of it. The bike course was crap....and the swim course was nice, except for the fact that it was low tide, and the water was really nasty. My wife got some cool pics of Michellie Jones!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:18 | 804 meters | 02m 09s / 100meters
Age Group: 16/25
Overall: 455/669
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Predator 2
Course: Swim Course: 1/2 mile The swim is a flat water swim and the water temperature is usually in the high 60's.You will be doing a rectangle shaped course in the Newport Dunes area of the Back Bay. The course is counterclockwise. It starts immediately west of the bridge which goes across the bay at the Dunes, heads north parallel to the bridge, then does three left hand turns. It basically follows the perimeter of the bay inside the Dunes. The exit to the swim is next to the start, then you run to the Transition on Back Bay Drive. Wetsuits are optional but recommended.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:51
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:19 | 12 miles | 19.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/25
Overall: 144/669
Average HR = 183 BPM Average Cadence = 90 RPM Average Power = 178 watts Total feet climbed = 565 Feet
Wind: None
Course: Bike Course: 12 miles From the transition area, you exit and make a left on Jamboree. Then you would turn right on Santa Barbara, right on Newport Center Dr, left on Farallon, left on Avocado, left on San Miguel, right back onto Newport Center, right on Santa Rosa, left on Center Dr., left on San Simeon, left on Newport Center. You follow the same route back to Santa Barbara, You will do this same loop around fashion island a total of 3 times then back onto Santa Barbara, left on Jamboree and back to the Transition area. It is very flat, there is only one real hill at the beginning going up Jamboree.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:12 | 03.11 miles | 11m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/25
Overall: 641/669
Course: Run Course: 5K (3.1 miles) The run course is an out and back on Back Bay Drive. Exit the transition area and follow Back Bay Drive just past Big Canyon Gully. Turn around and finish right in front of the dunes.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-05-23 3:46 PM

Regular
Norwalk, CA
Subject: Kring and Chung Newport Beach Triathlon

2005-05-23 3:48 PM
in reply to: #162003

Regular
Norwalk, CA
Subject: RE: Kring and Chung Newport Beach Triathlon
About picture #5. During the swim I managed to catch a tiny fish under my tri suit. It somehow got under my wetsuit and under my tri-suit. It was about 1" long. It was stuck to my chest the entire race!! I found it when I took my tri-suit off!! I felt bad for the little fish, but it was really funny.

I will also enter my split times when they are available

Edited by GasMunky 2005-05-23 3:55 PM
2005-05-24 10:31 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-05-24 5:00 PM
in reply to: #162487

Regular
Norwalk, CA
Just posted my split times....

Dom, that is funny, we have been doing all of the same races!
2005-05-24 9:29 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-06-03 4:20 PM

New user

Corona Del Mar, CA
This was my first tri. I live locally and rode the bike course before the race just "to see." Having read your breakdown I am really pleased with how I did. I came in at 2:03:01 and my swim was 24mins - breaststroke! I am 46 and sloooooow, so I feel much better about the whole thing now I see how a young lad like you is doing. THANKS! See you there next year.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kring and Chung Newport Beach Triathlon Rss Feed