Max Performance
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 31s
Overall Rank = 357/444
Age Group = Newbie
Age Group Rank = 66/80
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 5:15 and had a breakfast of 1/2 oatmeal, and 1 slice of bread with peanut butter. Cliff and I also stopped for a large coffee at Dunkin Donuts. Before the race, I had a gu and a little Gatorade.
Event warmup:

I ran for 10 minutes, stretched, and put on my wetsuit. I then got into the bay just to get my wetsuit wet and to see how cold the water was.
Swim
  • 11m 17s
  • 581 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt really discombobulated during the swim. People kept running into me and I kept running into people. The wetsuit gave me a lot of buoyancy - but I felt really dizzy and while I didn't panic - I never really felt comfortable. I would swim a couple of strokes and then pop my head up, do a little breath stroke and then do it all over again. I finished the swim by running through the water but got out faster than the 20 minutes I had budgeted.
What would you do differently?:

Next time, I think I will start closer to the front so people have to pass me and I won't run into as many people.
Transition 1
  • 03m 7s
Comments:

I got held up by other people - but I felt like I took too much time in transition. I felt dizzy and it seemed like it took me forever to get on the bike. I didn't put on sox and that led to a blister on my left foot. Before leaving - I gulped 10 oz of gatorade and a gu.

I really need to practice transitions - they have to be smoother. I think I might go with sox and I might also have my bike shirt on under my wetsuit to save time. Finally - I think I would be faster - if I put everything on before I get on the bike. I tried to put my gloves on and it slowed me down.
Bike
  • 58m 50s
  • 14.7 miles
  • 14.99 mile/hr
Comments:

I started off slowly on the bike. After mile 5, I felt like I really sped up and found a good pace. I never really pushed it - riding hard for 9 minutes and then taking a break for 1. On the bike, I drank 24 oz of powerade. I probably enjoyed the race too much - talking to people and cheering people on.

Besides getting a new bike, I don't think I would do anything differently.
Transition 2
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

Did a better job of getting out of tri 2 faster. I stopped long enough to put on sox, grab a gu and my Gatorade. The thing that really slowed me down was trying to get my bike tools and my inner tube out of the pocket of my bike shirt. Literally took over a minute.

Make sure the zipper of my shirt is open.
Run
  • 31m 5s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty good as I left tran 2. I had a gu and finished my 20 oz bottle of gatorade as I ran. I was running 9 minutes and then walking for 1 and I walked up the hill before leaving the park. I felt like I had over hydrated because I started to get stomach cramps. I kept running but it really slowed me down. Energy wise - I felt pretty good - but I definitely felt like the heat was sapping my energy. With about 1/2 a mile to go - a woman names Lisa passed me. We chatted briefly and I told her that I was "stopping either because it was a planned break or because you have crushed my spirit" and she called me out and forced me to keep running. It was a quick run towards the finish. I pulled off a pass with 300 yards to go and the woman repassed me with 200 when she saw her family but I kicked it at the end and passed her as we crossed the finish line.

I would drink less coming out of transition and I would do away with the last break and just keep running.
Post race
Warm down:

I had water and a muffin.

Event comments:

I was pretty excited about my time. I had planned on taking 2:06 but I finished in 1:46. I feel like I worked hard - but could have pushed harder. I need to spend more time in the pool and running - but I was proud of myself for completing my first tri.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-09-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:17 | 581 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/80
Overall: 0/444
Performance: Average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: It was a beautiful day. The course was a swim up the boat channel. There were no jellies - as I had been told.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:07
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:58:50 | 14.7 miles | 14.99 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Beautiful course - only two hills - before mile 3 and towards the end.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:05 | 03.1 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Followed the same route as the bike - with a turn-around 1/2 way. There was a hill just before leaving the park but most of the run was down hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes