EndorFun
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 30m 47s
Overall Rank = 416/1246
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 105/267
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30. Ate two pieces of toast with butter and bowl of cereal. Usual cleansing X 2. Packed the car and left for the venue at 5:30. I remember sitting in traffic for over an hour in 2007, so I wasnt in as big of a rush to get out the door this time. There was still a back-up however and instead of getting to the park with an hour to putt around, I didnt even get to park inside the park and didnt get to my tranisition spot until around 630. Luckily, there was a delay in starting the race until 730, so I wasnt rushed. I actually like parking across the street in the hidden field better.
Event warmup:

Set up transition. Talked with a few of the guys next to me. We joked about all having Cervelo bikes. Got the wetsuit on around 715 when they announced the race was ready to start and just did some easy swimming and cheering of the earlier waves until my wave lines up.
Swim
  • 37m 59s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

I pushed the effort pretty consistently at around 85-95%. I was able to relax for brief periods when I found some feet to follow. After turning the first corner, we were swimming into the sun, and I couldnt find the buoys very well and just navigated off other swimmers. After turning the second corner, I started to feel warmed up finally, which is typical and really pushed.
What would you do differently?:

My training for the swim was pretty pathetic this year(approx 25K yards). I wont neglect it next summer.
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Went to the strippers. Easy off for the wetsuit, got to tranisition and threw the suit and goggles down, got my helmet and bib belt on and off I go! Taping the sunglasses and having my shoes already clipped in does seem to make a difference in getting through transition.

Not too much. This is a big improvement for me and this time is pretty competitive.

Bike
  • 2h 47m 3s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.11 mile/hr
Comments:

HR was jacked starting the bike, which is expected. I was running in the mid-160s, so I just went with the plan, which is to take the first 10 miles real easy and get the HR settled and the legs warmed up nicely.

The problem was, that even keeping the watts in Z2, the HR would NOT get below the mid 140s, which is a significant elevation. (my range for Z3 riding has been 125-130). I kept myself at the lower zone, but at 10 miles, I was still up there. I decided to just go into the Z3 and see if I would settle down. Of course, I didnt, and in fact the HR went from 140s up to 150s. After a while of this, I went back to Z2 watts, but that wasnt doing much either. The only time I would get to a reasonable HR was when I coasted on a downhill. I took water at the stops and seemed to keep myself hydrated, but that didnt seem to help. It was warm out there, but I felt comfortable as far as body temp goes, I was comfortable in that regard.

Heed the HR!!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Got caught up in a bit of a log jam coming into transition, but I was trying to stay relaxed and not get too rushed. I could have passed on person coming into the park, but decided to hang back. Once I was past people in the transition area, I got the bike racked and socks and shoes on pretty hastily.

Try not to get stuck behind too many people coming into transition, if possible safely. Id like to shave about another 20-30 seconds off this time.
Run
  • 2h 01m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I paid for the excessive HR on the bike and my lack of run training this summer for sure!!
I started out feeling really pretty good though. The first 5 miles went pretty well, but when I hit a steep hill coming back, it took everything I had left in reserve. For the last 8 miles, I was pretty much in survival mode. My head was hanging mostly as it was all I could do to look up for more that 10 or 15 seconds at a time. Otherwise, I just looked at the road directly in front of me and waited for the next aid station. I was way too hot and my legs were spent. I walked through the last three aid stations, but was able to shuffle along at around 9-9:30 pace in between.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inadequate training overall, especially in swim and run. Not heeding the warnings of the HR monitor.

I suppose I shouldnt expect to have done better than I did considering the amount of training I put in this year. Less than 25K yards swimming and under 350 miles of running is pretty sad preparation for this distance. I guess I can attribute the bad weather and my crazy work schedule to some of this, but also laziness accounts for a bit too and is something I actually have some control over.

My goal for next year will be to try to get at least 1200 miles on the bike, 800-900 miles running, and 75K yards swimming.

Event comments:

This is a great race, and even though I was suffering in the end, I really like this course. I look forward to going back next year!

Last updated: 2009-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:59 | 2112 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/267
Overall: 964/1246
Performance: Below average
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Rectangular
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average