General Discussion Race Reports! » 28th Annual Larchmont R.A.T. Race - 5k Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

28th Annual Larchmont R.A.T. Race - 5k - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Norfolk, Virginia
United States
Active - Kale Running
68F / 20C
Precipitation
Total Time = 25m 13s
Overall Rank = 83/219
Age Group = Men 30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/19
Pre-race routine:

This was an evening race (R.A.T. = Race At Twilight). So, after getting off work a little early at 4:40, I ran home, got my stuff together, grabbed my mtn bike, got my dog's supplies and drove to the future bride's apartment. Once there, I changed quickly into my superhero (running) attire and we rode our bikes about a mile to the race start.

I kept telling myself I need to stretch but I run a 5k two or three times a week and I never strecth before those. But... I did a little stretching anyway. We grabbed our numbers, I finished my Guava Rockstar (man, those are good) and managed to get into a porta-john at the 1-minute-til-the-start announcement.

We had already agreed that we wouldn't run together, so I started jockeying up closer to the front of the start.
Event warmup:

Walked around... stretched a little... drank an energy drink... peed.
Run
  • 25m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

The course took us past a friend's house where we were to be drinking afterwards. When I ran past, the first time, I yelled at them for not having a beer ready for me. After making the turn and realizing that maybe I had gone out a little strong and was being passed by a few high school girls (I caught them, don't worry), I was regreting that comment.

The next time I approached my friends, they were ready. Beer in a Solo cup... I was about to puke already...

I reeled a couple guys in during the last mile and tried to pick up the pace for the final 2/10ths... but almost puked again. I think I finally pushed my body and fitness to a point where I couldn't give any more. That's what I've been looking for out of a race.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I think I gave it all I had.
Post race
Warm down:

On shakey legs, I walked over to the water table and grabbed several cups for me and the fiance (and our coworkers running with her). Stretched my calves and shins while waiting, since they were very stiff and upset with me. By the time the girls finished, I was mostly recovered.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. Stiffness in my lower legs.

Event comments:

Above all, this was a family race that benefited a local elementary school. For those reasons, it was a great race. Although, there could have been one more water station at the turn-around. There were just 2 stations... one around the 1 mile, and one around 2.5 mile.

For me, not having kids and not knowing any kids that attend that school, it was just a 5k a few miles from my house. So, I didn't really care anything about the neon light sticks and necklaces they were handing out or the dance party after the race. But it was a fun atmosphere. We didn't stick around too long afterwards... we had a party to get to ourselves.

Last updated: 2009-09-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:13 | 03.11 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/19
Overall: 83/219
Performance: Good
Course: Meandering out-and-back... sort of. It winded through a neighborhood just off the campus of Old Dominion University. Lot of families out in their front yards with the kids cheering us all on. Fun atmosphere.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-09-26 7:37 AM

User image

Elite
Toledo, Ohio
Subject: 28th Annual Larchmont R.A.T. Race - 5k
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 28th Annual Larchmont R.A.T. Race - 5k Rss Feed