United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 59m 26s
Overall Rank = 251/526
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5am, had a pb&j. Got to the race at 6am. Set up our canopy/tent and chairs and chilled. This is a marathon relay. 5 teammates each run a section...12k, 2 10k's, and 2 5k's. I was doing a 10k and was the third runner, so I had time to chill.
Event warmup:

Sat around and chit-chatted for 2 hrs. Stretched before my leg.
Run
  • 54m 22s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

This was just a fabulous run. Didn't know what to expect. My goal was to beat my time from last year, a 9:09 pace. I started a little fast and my first mile was an 8:50, so I slowed it down and kept it right around a 9:01-9:02 (couldn't have done this without the garmin!). This is a nice fast course (it is almost the same course as my bike route for the Austin Tri I just did). As the miles ticked by I just enjoyed the scenery and chatted with a few people on the run. Next thing I know I am already up at 4-5mi and still feeling strong. I am still at the 9:02 pace and start picking it up a little bit. At 1mi left I still felt good so I really went for it and pushed hard. I passed a lot of people coming down the stretch. The garmin said I did my last mile at 7:18!! Finished at my 8:45 pace and way ahead of my goal. I am so happy and excited. I had a great time and we as a team beat our last years time by 12sec! :) We have done this race 5yrs in a row now and each year we have gotten faster.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing...couldn't have gone any better!
Post race
Warm down:

stretched, ice cold towel, breakfast tacos, sit in the shade

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing...well, I guess one could always say to train more and I could've been even faster!

Event comments:

I had to give the on time a no b/c they moved the start time back to 7am this year and it was still too dark to run...so they delayed the start about 10min. Otherwise a great race. We always love doing this race and really enjoy the camaraderie and having all your friends out there competing with you. Could have used an extra volunteer or two at some of the water stations as some of them were overwhelmed with the number of people trying to get water.

Last updated: 2009-08-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:54:22 | 06.2 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/526
Performance: Good
Course: Nice straight and fairly flat "L" shaped course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-27 4:58 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: Silicon Labs Marathon Relay

2009-09-28 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2428606

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Silicon Labs Marathon Relay

Nice Race Tim!  Sounds like a fun run to do!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silicon Labs Marathon Relay Rss Feed