Peninsula Runners
12C / 54F
Sunny
Total Time = 46m 33s
Overall Rank = 19/69
Age Group = Male 46-55
Age Group Rank = 3/6
Pre-race routine:

Left Vancouver and got to race 15 minutes before start.
Event warmup:

Had some water and visited the washroom. Did some stretching and took in the sunshine. Warmed up with a half lap of the oval.
Run
  • 46m 33s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 39s  min/km
Comments:

Have some leg problems so wasn't even sure I was going to run this race. Woke up feeling pretty good so decided to give it a shot. Started off at a reasonable pace trying to settle my breathing down. Pretty typical race until "the hill" around the 2K mark. Faded big time going up it and about 5 people passed me during the process. Hill was pretty steep at one section and went on for what seemed like 750+ meters.
Breathing was all crazy but carried on and eventually made it to the top. Took a while to get a rhythm going but settled into a reasonable pace around the 5K mark. A runner passed me around 6K and got about 5 meters in front but I managed to keep pace with him until around the 7K mark. I started running and feeling better at that point and passed him but he stayed right behind me. At about the 9.5K mark he passed me and ended up beating me by 20 seconds or so. I thought we would battle it to the finish line but my tank was empty at that point, I didn't make a challenge, no Simon Whitfield kick this time around.
What would you do differently?:

Try to learn more about the course. That hill came as a bit of a surprise and I wasn't ready for it.
Post race
Warm down:

Did a lot of walking as I could feel my legs wanting to cramp up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pacing, lack of hill training.

Event comments:

This was a well organized and put together race with lots of volunteers. The course is good with no obstacles and was well marked.
For a 3rd year race they have it dialed in pretty well and I can see this race growing fast in the future.

Last updated: 2009-09-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:46:33 | 10 kms | 04m 39s  min/km
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 19/69
Performance: Average
Course: One loop course with hill around 2 km mark. Mostly flat with lots of long straight sections.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-27 9:20 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Subject: Langley Times Rotary Run

2009-09-27 10:51 PM
in reply to: #2428956

User image

Regular
Surrey BC Canada
Subject: RE: Langley Times Rotary Run
Wow that was a great run Riel I would love to be able to run like that nice race.  See you at the seawall.
2009-10-01 12:44 PM
in reply to: #2428956

User image

Subject: RE: Langley Times Rotary Run
Atta Boy! I still wanted to watch, sorry I missed it. I'm getting pumped for you to beat me at the cunningham.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Langley Times Rotary Run Rss Feed