United States
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 15s
Overall Rank = 11/99
Age Group = 19-29
Age Group Rank = 4/18
Pre-race routine:

My roommate woke me up at 6:15 after my alarm had been going off for a bit at the hotel. It took me a long time to get to sleep (pre-race jitters) the night before and made me not even hear my obnoxious alarm. Downed a breakfast bar and a banana. Got to the race at 7 and snagged the second closest spot on my assigned rack. Then had to wait around until I actually started at 9.
Event warmup:

Did a couple laps in the side of the pool and stretched out my IT band as much as possible
Swim
  • 08m 19s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

They lined us up and when a spot became available, we would cross the timing lines, jump in the water and be off. I did well, my arms felt pretty tired and I felt really slow.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up a bit more and try to keep a stronger pace from the beginning
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

It was so cold that I decided to wear my nike t-shirt and my long sleeve synthetic over it. However, being the beginner that I am, I didn't realize how difficult putting on a shirt while soaked was. It was worth it on the bike though. The transition area was well set up and my heat's rack was right next to the bike exit/entrance and run exit. I didn't have to run far and passed the first guy out of the water for my heat right after the mount line.

I would practice starting with the shoes clipped in more so I could do that in the race. I also would get a cycling windbreaker to wear instead of a long sleeve shirt, way too tough to get on.
Bike
  • 48m 4s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 19.39 mile/hr
Comments:

I took out the Bianchi pretty fast and was nervous that I was over doing it as I passed a couple people right away. But felt fine after ten minutes, so I kept it up. I was pretty nervous around the 90 degree turns and lost time slowing down significantly for them. The hill on to the mesa was tough and steep, but I only had to drop down to my lowest gear at the top after passing a couple women on Mountain bikes. The road to the South on the far edge of the course was rough, but manageable, even though my hands went tingly from the vibrations in a couple spots. The volunteers on the course were awesome. The local high school cheerleaders where there with their pom-poms cheering everybody on every turn.

Not have had knee problems, haha. I would have gone faster around the turns. Other than that, I did hydration and nutrition well and timed them well, so it was great overall.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

I undid my shoes about 1/4 mile out and jumped out of them off my bike at the dismount line, evidently to the surprise of some spectators. Overall a good transition. Drank some water, threw my empty gu packet out... Oh, but I did almost forget to take my helmet off. Oh and I forgot where I was supposed to go out of transition to the run. Thankfully the volunteers were super helpful.

Nothing. Except maybe get some Yankz for my running shoes.
Run
  • 29m 49s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Since this was my first triathlon, this was my first real experience with the numb/heavy legs off the bike. I couldn't really feel my legs for awhile, which was a blessing in disguise, due to my IT band and knee cap tracking problems. The hill was tough, but do-able and it was great to run back down. OH! And a mom and young child decided that walking right across the finish line was a good idea directly in front of me. I almost ran the kid over and had to do this weird stumble across the line to avoid said child. So note to spectators, walk around the finish line, not directly across it, you never know when a runner is going to be sprinting around the corner to cross the finish.

Push harder during the run downhill and hope people would be smarter about casually walking across the actual finish line. That could have gone much worse for both me and the kid.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with my roomie and got some food and water. Continued to walk, then sat and stretched out my legs after checking on the Bianchi.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Knee injury and not being able to run for the last three weeks. Or bike in high gears for that matter

Event comments:

It would have been nice if the finish line had been roped off better and if a roped off chute had been present as well. This would have helped avoid problems like mine with small children. Other than that, good race. Fun and the volunteers were wonderful! I had such a blast and I know I'm hooked now!

Last updated: 2009-09-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:19 | 547 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 0/99
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Pool Swim. Each lane had two people in it, swimming sides. When one person got out, they sent another person in.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:04 | 15.53 miles | 19.39 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The course starts out along the lower edge of a mesa, then climbs up onto the mesa, winds through some farm land, and then descends the mesa back into Montrose
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:49 | 03.1 miles | 09m 37s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Starts off flat for about half a mile, then switch backs up for quite awhile (painful), before turning around and retracing back to the aquatic center.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes