Lake Lanier Island, Georgia
United States
Georgia MultiSports Productions, LLC.
Total Time = 1h 08m 24s
Overall Rank = 4/347
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/53
Pre-race routine:

I was a little worried about this race since we did Augusta last weekend. I hurt my calf there and it has been bothering me this week so I only ran one time the whole week. Also I was not excited about the cold weather. Cold to me is anything under 80! This is our last scheduled tri for the year so I just wanted us to have fun with whatever the day brought!

Was excited that several ATCers were doing the event and Mark and Todd came to cheer. Awesome job guys!
Event warmup:

Ran about a half a mile to test the calf... Kept on a long sleeve shirt over the wetsuit till the last possible second. Couldn't make myself go into the water to warm up.
Swim
  • 07m 23s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was pretty excited about the swim bc I felt like I could go all out for once and not worry about drowning. Now I am no swimmer, but I have worked really hard since I struggled through my first 25 yards at the beginning of this year.

Since this is a really popular beginners race I decided that I might line up to the front for once instead of to the back. Looking at all the mens waves in front of us there was a large contigent of males of all ages doing the dog paddle to get through the swim. This made me think there might be a good number of swimmers in my wave (20-30) who were Less experienced than me.

When the gun sounded I swam out hard. I was immediately surprised by two things. One, I was out in Front! Two, I didn't feel like I was in danger of dying or drowning. There was only one other chick in front of me and.... holy crap I was successfully drafting off her and following her feet! Suddenly I felt like I had a taste of what it was like to be a "real" swimmer. Ie.... avoid blows to the head and body in the beginning, swim out hard to get to the front, and continue to avoid obstacles a la stationary men in the water. Yeah I had a taste and I wanted more!

So I kept swimming hard and following the other girl to the first buoy when... she cut the buoy! I definitely didn't want to do that so I kept doing my own thing and a few minutes later I was running up the steep hill and everyone was yelling "second woman out of the water!" I have to admit that I was savoring this because it is quite possibly the one time I will ever hear it! (We were the first wave to go, thus appearing to be "leading")
What would you do differently?:

Nothing except maybe try to stay behind my "draft" longer.
Transition 1
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

Not good. I was too distracted by the swim. Then I was slow with my wetsuit and even started to put the helmet on backwards for the THIRD TIME IN A ROW!!!
Bike
  • 37m 23s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.86 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a good bike for me but it started off bad. Somehow my chain managed to come off my bike on the way to the mount line and the volunteer had to hold it while I fixed it. All in all, it probably cost me 20-30 seconds, although it seemed like an eternity at the time.

This course was awesome! I didn't even look at my speed but my mindset was to red line the entire thing and not give a thought to the run afterwards. Actually, I was not sure whether I had passed the chick from the swim in transition, so I was on one hand trying to catch up to her. On the other hand, I was concerned that a couple of ultra fast women (that I knew were racing ) were in waves behind me. The waves were four minutes apart and while I didn't think they could make up that difference in a sprint, I knew it would suck if they did! Okay, also I liked the feeling of "leading" the race!

The bike went pretty well except I had the annoying experience of being stuck behind a car with several other racers. This meant slowing on the dhs and losing momentum for the subsequent uphills. I did pass one girl on the bike but I was pretty sure she was relay

Coming back into transition Todd yelled to me that I was still out in front.

Not lose me chain....
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s

I need to start leaving my shoes on my bike... I am noticing that some of my transitions are losing me some time to the faster girls
Run
  • 19m 53s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Holy crap my feet were completely numb coming off the bike. I just took off as quick as I could and my legs, from the ankles up felt great. I couldn't believe it since I only ran once but maybe they were finally rested. There were some hills but overall it was a great course to net a fast time.

I saw several ATCers on the run and everyone looked great. I passed Jim and he said encouraging words... I wanted to say something to him but I was Completley maxed out. Then I saw John coming back the other way a good ways ahead and he looked good, I was happy he was having a good race after his mechanical trouble at Augusta. Todd was a great cheerleader and he was keeping tabs on where the other ladies were the whole time!

At the turnaround I saw Elaine and another girl who looked like they were definitely closer than 8 minutes and I hammered it home bc I couldnt let myself be caught in the last mile!

Nothing. This was a great run for me and I was able to snag the fastest run time, albeit by a few secs. Also an "official" 5k PR. I don't think I can count Macon bc they lost my splits. Record or it didn't happen!
Post race
Warm down:

Got a few minutes of ART on my calf from the 1st Choice Doc. Man they are awesome! Watched the other club members finish and they turned in some impressive performances!! John had a lightning fast swim and a 5k PR, Giorgia got 2nd, Martine 3rd, and Randy 3rd in age group! I also got first in my Age group and ended up missing 3rd OA by 6 seconds! I was really happy to break into the top 5, though. My best prior finishes have been 6th.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was very happy with how I performed given where I am at. Per the usual, my bike is the area that could benefit the most from little more attention.

Last updated: 2008-12-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:23 | 400 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/53
Overall: 7/347
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: I couldn't believe how nice and short this course looked after all the longer races we had done lately.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:49
Performance:
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:23 | 13 miles | 20.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/53
Overall: 8/347
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:53 | 03.11 miles | 06m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/53
Overall: 1/347
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-10-05 5:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Lake Lanier Island Sprint

2009-10-06 12:06 PM
in reply to: #2444018

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Lake Lanier Island Sprint
hey b, you were awesome! funny that you almost put  your helmet on backwards!

like i said before, you're a rockstar! fast bike and very fast run!

way to go!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Lanier Island Sprint Rss Feed