On Site: Water Down Gatoraide
Event warmup:

None, traffic into race killed all of my budgeted warmup time
Swim
  • 11m 52s
  • 668 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Got way, way off course between bouy's 2-3. Siting needs major improvement. I was more focused on maintaining a comfortable cadance/pace that I neglected bouy sighting. Had to stop twice to re-orient myself. Killed my time.

1st race using new wetsuit. Felt like it required additional effort, especially in the arms. Need to acclimate myself with wetsuit swimming.
What would you do differently?:

Do a better job sighting. Practice more in the wetsuit. Start stronger.
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

I was pleased with my ability to quickly remove my wetsuit, with goggles and cap stored in sleeve. Transition was located in the sand/beach area. I was concerned with getting sand into my bike components so I carried the bike out of, then back into transition. Carried a towel with the bike to the mount area, quickly wiped off my sandy feet before discarding the towel and mounted the bike from a standstill.

I ran 1/2 the way into T1, then walked the rest of the way. Next time, I'll suck it up and run. The swim took more out of me than I expected.
Bike
  • 36m 18s
  • 14 miles
  • 23.14 mile/hr
Comments:

I really need to get a proper fit for my bike. It took me 1/2 the race to get my "legs" under me and by that time my lower back started to bother me. Overall, it was an uncomfortable ride, however I think I held a decent pace. Got passed way too much for my liking and was unable to keep pace with my passers as I usually do.

Get a proper fit for my bike so I can ride more comfortably. Train more on the bike to develop power. Train for sprint's/time rather than going for "time in the saddle" Not get passed, and if I do, keep pace with my passers.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

T2 was fine. Again, opted to carry my bike into transition rather than roll it through the sand. Feet were pretty sandy by the time I got to my transition spot, so was my transition towel. Sandy feet into socks and sneakers was an inital concern, but wound up being a non issue. Glad I put my race # on in T1.

Know where Run out is. It wound up being a different exit from both Swim in and bike out, so I had to run all the way across a long transition area.
Run
  • 25m 13s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Started slow, but finished strong. Legs were fine off the bike, no cramping, soreness or discomfort. I kept a comfortable pace to keep my HR in range in the beginning. Got passed way too much, but I wound up regaining ground during the 2nd half of the run. Once I hit the 3 mile marker, I began to sprint even though the finish wqas not in sight. this wound up being a good move because I gained 2-3 spots and felt really strong. I could hear the guys I passed pick it up and try to re-gain their place but couldn't catch up. This felt great! Overall this was a good/great run for me, and probably a PR for a 5K @ 8:12 pace.

Work on speed during training. I can be faster!
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with my family. Grabbed a bagel that my son dropped after 1 bite, a little water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Off course on swim
Unfamillar with swimming with wetsuit
Improper bike fit
Lack of bike fitness

Event comments:

Getting into the race site was a disaster. We sat in traffic for nearly 35 minutes at 5:45AM just to get into the park. Killed my warm up time. Pre-race meeting was in-audible and no one knew what was going on. Swim course description was poor and confusing with the 1/2 distance markers (same color) on the course. Thank god for the deflated bouy, it was the only distinguishable point of reference. I began in the correct wave, but was confused because I was given the wrong color swim cap. No water/beverages at the finish line and the "famous home cooked meal" was no where to be found. ALSO! there was only 2 garbage cans on the entire race site, WTF?

I will do this race again because it was local for me and the only 1/2 in the area for next year. The course is also nice, senic and flat.

Last updated: 2009-08-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:52 | 668 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/181
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3
Course: In water start, triangular course. Water seemed shallow at times with each stroke hitting bottom weeds, but not enough to hinder performance. Clean water, comfortable water temp with wetsuit. Course could have been marked better, 1/2 distance course markers made the sprint course confusing initally, but once the swim started the course was fine.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:22
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:18 | 14 miles | 23.14 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Flat, on mostly closed course. I enjoyed this bike course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:13 | 03.1 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Flat course through the state forest, past campgrounds. Nice course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes