General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Advice for this Winter and Early Spring Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-06 11:59 AM

User image

New user
Columbus, Indiana
Subject: Training Advice for this Winter and Early Spring
I've just completed my first Triathlon season. I'm pretty happy with my progress so far. 1 year ago, I was pretty much not exercising at with the exception of an occasional jog. Maybe 2 or 3 times a month. I decided to do a Sprint Triathlon, but I could not swim. At all. Friends laughing at me bad. So last winter the traing plan was pretty simple. Swim, Swim, Swim some more, Take swiming lessons, read swimming books. Swim Swim Swim. Now I swim right at 2:00min per 100 and I held that pace for 1500 at Tri-Indy. I ended up doing 2 sprints, 1 olympic, and a 15K road race this season. The swim is still my weakest event, but not by much. Next year I want to do 2 oly's, 2 or 3 sprints, a mini-marathon, and possibly a HIM (I'm eyeing the Muncie Endurathon). So my question is what do I do this Winter. I want to improve in all the events, but I'm not really sure how to structure my training. Back when I used to run Cross-Country and Track, The offseason was used for Base building, and I basically just did long easy runs or temp-runs everyday with 1 or 2 days rest each week. Should I implement the same type of strategy across all three sports focusing on increasing enduance in each? The other idea I have is to do a series of 6-10 week "camps" where I focus on 1 sport at a time. Running and Cycling "camp" would focus on building endurance by doing lots of miles, and long interval work. The swim camp would focus on improving technique and endurance. I'd do a "camp" in each sport, which would get me to March, at that point I'd start a focused running plan to do a late May mini-marathon. then start incorporating more interval work through the race season to build speed and race readiness.
The other idea I had was to just follow the performance plans for HIM I found in a book I bought, "12 week triathlete." 10 weeks gets me to Christmas, take a break, follow 12 week plan again gets me to end of march, then I'll only be 6 weeks from my first road race of the season (Mini-marathon)
SO I guess that's a really long way of asking "Should winter training focus on 1 sport at a time, or should I just continue with the Multi-sport plans?
Yea I know, the obvious answer is to get a coach. I'm just not sure I wanna go there yet.

2009-10-06 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2445417

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Training Advice for this Winter and Early Spring
Your idea to do focus "camps" sounds good.  BT has three 8-week Winter Maintenance training plans available to import in the training log for Silver or Gold members.  Each 8-wk plan focuses on a discipline, then you can bring it all together with a plan to bring you up to the race as you stated.

2009-10-06 1:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley, NY
I've been trying to formulate my plan too.  I trained and did my first Sprint tri in September, so needed a focus to get me through until summer.  I downloaded the BT sprint tri 20 week plan (and started on week 5 as my week 1 since I backed off a little after my Tri), and then the Oly 16 week plan (both run focused, since that's my weakest part - but I believe that the plans have swim focused and bike focused plans too), and with a little bit of tweaking, it takes me to Memorial Day.  I needed to have a plan to follow, and it worked.    I'm planning on running a 5K next month, and a 5K in April, with a possible 10k in April too.

Some of the tweaking I've done is this...  I am hoping to have a bike trainer this fall, so I won't add the bike back in consistently until I have it (and will ride outside when it's nice, and it will be a bonus), I just got access to a pool, so that will be part of my plan 1x/week shortly, and I added strength training (with bands, weights, abs), and will do the Yoga program (and probably some boxing) on my Wii Fit through the Fall/winter/spring.   It was fun to come up with some variations, but things I can do at home, and I won't get bored.

Good luck coming up with your plan!
2009-10-06 2:47 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Firstly, congratulations on becoming a triathlete and having a great first season!  Also, congratulations for realizing the importance of the off season.  We like to think of the off season as a chance to recover from the season, and then start building into next season (without burning out).

So, without directly answering your question, the off season is a great time to work on your limiters.  Since the days are short, and its cold (for most of us), its an optimal time to work on technique.  On the trainer, you can work on efficiency (one leg drills, big ring, little ring, etc.), in the pool (drills, drills, drills), and running (drills, consistency, cadence, etc.).   Since you won't  be having races to taper and recover from, its also less stressful and a great time to work on strength and flexibility.   Core strength, etc.   

Many ways to slice it, but working on your limiters and your technique/form/strength is a pretty good way to maximize your time.  Sprinkle in some intensity, as well.  Personally, I would continue on working on your swim technique with what your coach taught you.   Then focus on your Bike FTP.  Increase that, and you will see your run improve, as well.   No need to get crazy with large (or even semi large) volumes in the off season.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Advice for this Winter and Early Spring Rss Feed