General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fatigue will swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-09 2:26 PM

User image

Subject: Fatigue will swimming
Hello all,

Today during my workout I experienced something I have not experienced before. I kind of starting feeling it before but today it happened very emphatically.

I have been training every day, around 1-1.5 Hrs per day, alternating between swim, bike and run. I also do some strength workouts twice a week. I keep a very balanced diet and eat a good amount of food.
Today I started my swimming workout with some drills, swimming 2x100 m with fits closed, then some more drills with the pull buoy, then soem other swimming in Zone 2. At the end of my training sesion, I do some endurance training and today it consisted on swimming 1000 m. However, after 150 m I started to feel very tired, my arms would not respond very efficiently, I could not take good breathes, I kept thinking on the remaining distance and I also felt mentally tired..all in all, I was a disaster in the pool. I manage to finish my 1000 m by taking some breathes at the edge and with an extremely high effort. At the end of the workut I felt like a crap, like the worst swimmer...BTW, the day before what I did was some biking in the morining for 1.5 Hrs working in Zones 1 and 3.
Let me tell you that in the past I have been able to finish the same workout with very good times and being able to swim the 1000 m continuously without stopping at the edge.
Has any of you been through this before? Is this chronic fatigue? am I training too much? Please advice, I am concerned that instead of progressing with my training I am going backwards and becoming less competitive.

2009-10-09 2:40 PM
in reply to: #2452068

New user
Subject: RE: Fatigue will swimming
It happens to me every once in a while. I think it's mental for me, as long as you aren't sick or fighting a cold. Take day off. Come back strong.
2009-10-09 2:44 PM

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise

my body will let me know when it needs a day off mentally and physically, quite possibly you need to take a day of rest and relaxation. I do not really have planned days off each week, but do listen to my body when it needs a rest.  Maybe you are coming down with a bug, ya never know.
I doubt that you are going backwards with your training. I would not overthink that due to one not so good day in the pool.  see what a complete day of rest does for you.

2009-10-09 2:46 PM

User image

It's called a "bad workout."  Everyone has them from time to time.  Don't read too much into it
2009-10-09 2:47 PM

New user
One of two things come to mind.  First off, overtrained.   Not saying the workout is too much, the body is just telling you to take a day or two off.  Won't kill your endurance, you just need some rest.

Second, ya could be getting sick.  Again, you might need some rest.

I've had this happen, especially whem I'm training many days in a row.  I just get physically tired, I feel like cement, my breathing feels like I haven't trained for a year, and I can't get my head into training.  I'm usually overtrained.  A day off, some good sleep, and doing something away from tris equal improvement.
2009-10-09 3:05 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

I don't do any frequent or heavy lifting, but I do avoid my (somewhat wimpy) dumbell workouts the night before a swim.  I find I can't keep a normal swim pace even when my arms feel fine, probably due to losing good form more quickly than normal.  Just a thought....

Brian 

2009-10-09 3:28 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Fatigue while swimming
Thanks guys,

One thing I forgot to mention is that I have been training for about 2 months without taking any day off. I thought I was a superman jajaja but that is ridiculous. Also, today's was not an isolated case. Like a week ago I started feeling a little tired during my swimming workouts, but not during the bike or run. Today was just the extreme and I really got scared. I think I need some rest and that is it. I will try that!
2009-10-09 3:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, Texas

A similiar feeling has happen to me, too.  I consider it cumulative fatigue although a better term might be over-reaching.  After so many days in a row without proper rest my body says take a break.  Typically I have to back off for a week with all workouts at an easy level.  I then come back stonger than before.

2009-10-09 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2452228

User image

Hey tmueller, that sounds like an excellent idea. I might be obsessed but I don't like the idea of not training for a day or two. A significant reduction in the load for a week should provide equivalent results...I will try that!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fatigue will swimming Rss Feed