General Discussion Race Reports! » Publix Family Fitness Series Championship - Cypress Gardens Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Publix Family Fitness Series Championship - Cypress Gardens - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Winter Haven, Florida
United States
Premier races
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 04m 16s
Overall Rank = 117/253
Age Group = 36
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race very early. talked with other athletes as I stretched. Ate banana and muffin slowly with water.
Event warmup:

Swim was canceled so no swim warmup
Run
  • 06m 11s
  • 0.65 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

There was some confusion on the race course about what direction to take. Being in the last wave helped here.. it was all solved before it became an issue for us.
What would you do differently?:

run a little before the race to be more loose when it starts. this was a 1st duathlon for me.
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Not much room to run. I was all the way towards bike exit. First time under 1 min transition time. YES!!!!
What would you do differently?:

not much. really happy.
Bike
  • 27m 41s
  • 10 miles
  • 21.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Glad I switched back to my gatorskins. The road was not in great condition in all places. Can't flat in a sprint. The extra weight is worth the peace of mind.
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Another PR in T2 time below 1 min. I really pushed hard to get out in front of the guy who came in on the bike at the same time as me. I think that pushed me a bit harder to be faster.
Run
  • 28m 43s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a NEW PERSONAL RECORD time and pace for me. I had been practicing short stride and turnover rates for a month. Looks like they paid off. Noticeably less people passing me this time. I was breathing hard the whole time. HR in the 167 - 172 range. Ran the whole way, no stopping.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramp in the beginning of the day when I was bringing my bike down the hotel stairs. It took a while to loosen up and really was not 100% during the race.

Event comments:

This series needs a bit more attention to details if it is going to survive more that just a 1st timers club. The pros and long time participants are noticing the increase of issues.

Last updated: 2009-06-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:06:11 | 00.65 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/2
Overall: 0/253
Performance: Average
Course: They said the swim was canceled due to amoebas in the water. Very rare but they already had 2 people die from the amoebas getting into the brain and if not treated in 36 hrs, you are toast. Good call from the RD. The run was said to me a mile but with the times we saw, no way. Probably more like .65 miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:59
Overall:
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:27:41 | 10 miles | 21.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/2
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Bike distance under dispute. Bike computer says 10.6. That would match the rate I was doing. 25mph on the flats. 30+mph on the downhills. Never below 15mph on the uphills. I was passing a lot of people. 50-60 probably. That was I get for the last wave. Google maps confirms 10.0 exactly. Need to check computer setting.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:43 | 03.1 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/2
Performance: Good
Course: Rolling hills inside Cypress gardens park. I don't train on hills so this was a challenge.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-11 9:23 AM

User image

New user
Subject: Publix Family Fitness Series Championship - Cypress Gardens
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Publix Family Fitness Series Championship - Cypress Gardens Rss Feed