General Discussion Race Reports! » Dottie's House End Of Season Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dottie's House End Of Season Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Seaside Park, New Jersey
United States
DQEvents
66F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 36s
Overall Rank = 149/265
Age Group = Male 45-49
Age Group Rank = 19/24
Pre-race routine:

Had friends over Saturday night, drank too much wine but was curious if I would perform better with a hangover. Went to bed around 11pm but again I had trouble sleeping.

Up at 5:45, one cup of coffee, one english muffin with peanut butter & water. I bought the english muffins in early September, no green mold but inside was a little dry and white. Amazing how long they last, I wonder what kind of chemicals they are treated with?

Arrived at Seaside 7:15, had to wait in line to register. Felt very rushed because I got there so late. I found a decent spot to rack my bike near the bike out exit. I was able to use the bathroom before I donned my wetsuit.
Event warmup:

We walked to the beach for the pre-race instructions. I realized that they were going to start almost immediately so I jumped in the water to try to warm up but then they called all of us back to the beach. The air temperature in the morning was 38 (brrrr!!!).
Swim
  • 16m 52s
  • 440 yards
  • 03m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

The surf was very choppy & waves were pretty high. I felt OK swimming but my sighting was horrible because of the waves. I found myself drifting much further out than I should have.

I need to try and hug the buoy line because I am swimming much further than I need to and my time proves it!
What would you do differently?:

Get in the water earlier and warm up. I have found that I do much better when I have had a chance to warm up in the water. Learn to sight better.
Transition 1
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

overall 62/265 age-group 7/24. I had a lot of trouble getting my wetsuit off. It got stuck on both of my heels and I was a little dizzy from the swim in the rough water and nearly fell trying to get the darn thing off!

Even with the wetsuit problem I suppose it was still pretty good. I was able to jump on the bike and slip my feet into my clipped on shoes. No shoe falling off the pedal problem this time! Yesterday's transition practice really paid off.

Practice getting wetsuit off.
Bike
  • 30m 43s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.53 mile/hr
Comments:

I just wasn't feeling any mojo on the bike segment, quads were a bit tight and the trip back ran into a bit of a headwind. I actually felt a little cold which is real unusual for me. I'm guessing my lack of sleep and/or wine indulgence played a factor. One bright spot was that I found myself dueling with number 269. We must have passed each other 3 or 4 times over the 10 miles.

Get rest and no partying before race. I also need to get my aero bars put back on.
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

overall 102/265 age-group 9/24. It was difficult to figure out when the bike course was ending so I pulled my feet out of the shoes and pedaled with my feet on top for well over a half mile!

When I started running with my bike into transition my right bike shoe fell off. I had to stop and grab it causing me to lose a few seconds.

Figure out where the bike ride ends, adjust my pedal clips to secure my shoes better.
Run
  • 28m 13s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

I struggled with the run again but it wasn't quite as bad as my first two tri's. I did stop briefly a couple of times but was able to continue at my plodding pace. My calves didn't bother me but again my quads were a little tight.

I think mentally the straight run course was difficult because it seemed to go on forever...

I simply need to train more and do bricks. I think I have only done 2 or three true brick workouts all season!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and drank and ate. The food at the end was excellent (noodles, bagels, oranges, crumb cake, bananas).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of sleep, too much wine the night before, not enough time to warm up, blah, blah, blah.

Event comments:

Really didn't like the bike course or the run course. Even the water seemed remote from the transition area due to the high sand dunes. The race venue was in a little too remote of an area for my liking.

Last updated: 2009-09-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:52 | 440 yards | 03m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/24
Overall: 188/265
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: Out to first buoy, right turn swim parallel to beach, right turn at last buoy to beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:32
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:30:43 | 10 miles | 19.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/24
Overall: 141/265
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: The bike course was straight as an arrow 5 miles out and 5 miles back. The road was traffic free and had a pretty high crown which made it difficult to ride in the middle of the lane due to the slope. Nothing but sand and scrubby bushes on either side. This was a pretty boring bike course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:13 | 03.1 miles | 09m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/24
Overall: 186/265
Performance: Bad
Course: Straight out and back. Same route as bike course only much shorter turnaround (obviously). Same complaints as bike course above.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2009-10-12 12:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
Subject: Dottie's House End Of Season Triathlon

2009-10-12 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2454466

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Subject: RE: Dottie's House End Of Season Triathlon

Solid race charlie...esp for not liking the course.  ocean swims are always tough late in the year.  congrats on a fine tri season.

2009-10-12 2:22 PM
in reply to: #2454466

Fair Lawn, NJ

nice time, congrats.   i felt rushed too.  had to run to the beach and got there within a few seconds of my start.   by now all tri's should know they need more workers on the registration lines.

2009-10-12 6:43 PM
in reply to: #2455560

User image

Expert
6:25, and I was 2nd in line....just sayin... 
2009-10-13 8:22 AM
in reply to: #2455052

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
Thanks for all of your help this year Tim (and Laura).
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dottie's House End Of Season Triathlon Rss Feed