TigerShark Sprint Triathlon Series
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 55m 11s
Overall Rank = 9/130
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/5
Pre-race routine:

Woke Up around 0545. Then breakfast, a shower and got dressed. The race start was less than a mile from our Condo so we rode our bikes to the start.

Got the bike racked and transition set up. Saw some of our old friends from when we lived in DBS. Cool cathing up with them. Got Body marking done then off to take a quick warm up swim.
Event warmup:

Swam the out section of the course twice and jogged teh beach for 5-10 minutes.
Swim
  • 06m 12s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim was over quickly. My arms felt heavy and I didn't feel like I was swimming very fast. Had to go open water on a poor guy, but he should swim straight. Caught a pair of feet after the first turn and just followed him in.

What would you do differently?:

Notta
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Ran across the beach and up a ramp to transition. I didn't feel like I had a good swim, but after I got up the ramp and saw transition I knew otherwise.

Cap off, goggles off, helmet on, glasses on, number on and run. Flying mount and I was off.

Notta
Bike
  • 23m 6s
  • 8 miles
  • 20.78 mile/hr
Comments:

Course was nice. The bikers rode in the middle 2-3 lanes of A1A. A1A is a 5 lane road. Coming up on the first u-turn I was able to count the leaders and to my surprise I was in 8th place.

Made the u-turn and just stayed aero. I was pushing over 200 watts at this point, which is well into my Z3 wattge. But I was only going 20 to 21 mph. It felt like I was pulling a big gorilla. Later I would find out my rear brake was dragging my Jet Disc. Saw Amanda starting her bike leg and let out a hey big sexy. Her smile was priceless.

Anyway back to racing. I was coming up on the second u-turn and I was surprised no one had passed me yet. Got back up to speed and just pushed till T2.

Check the rear brake. I should have averaged 23ish mph.

In May on similar terrain,I averaged 20mph on 166 watts over 56 miles. You do the math.
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Flying dismount, racked bike, glasses off, helmet off, shoes on and run.

Notta
Run
  • 24m 2s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out of T2 and saw one of my old buddies gave him a sout out. It wasn't soon after I hit the beach I could hear foot steps. This guy was haulin. I just thought the hell with that. That guy would end up winning our age group.

Made it to the turn around and it was starting to heat up. I could feel a cramp coming on in my right oblique. A little after the turn around another guy caught me. Damnit I was now in 10th place, but I could see another runner up ahead.

I took a look behind and there wasn't anyone within 4-5 hundred yards. I thought if I could stay at this pace I should catch him. Then I'll out sprint him. And that's just what happened. I caught up to him with 300 yards to go. I then stayed about 10 feet off of him and then with about 100 yards to go I hit it. Passed him and he could respond in time.

First top 10 yer top 9.

Notta
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and tired not to loose breakfast. Talked to guy I out sprinted and all he say was, "damn young legs." GOt some water and waited for Amanda to finish.

Waited around for awards, because Amanda and I both got second in our Age Groups. ANd we had baby sitters. That why you bring family to the beach.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My rear brake rubbing. It cost me a goo 2-3 mph on the bike. Also IM training volume leads to heavy legs.

Event comments:

Very good race. I wish this series was going on when we lived in Daytona Beach Shores. If we can time it right we'll deffently do one of the races again.

Last updated: 2009-06-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:12 | 437 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 0/130
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Out over and back. Water was glassy.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:13
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:23:06 | 08 miles | 20.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/5
Performance: Average
Avg. Pw. - 215 watts Norm. Pw. - 220 watts
Wind:
Course: North for 2 miles on A1A, u-turn then south on for four miles, another u-turn and 2 miles back to transition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:02 | 03 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/5
Performance: Average
No Heart went by feel.
Course: Out and back on the beach. Course was way long.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes