General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathletes with Food Allergies Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-17 8:36 AM

Central NJ
Subject: Triathletes with Food Allergies

I know I am not the only one here with Food Allergies; Personally I am allergic to Nuts and Legumes (this includes beans and Soy), and surprisingly some vegetables as well (Would you believe carrots and celery). It isn’t a life threatening reaction yet but the chance of it escalating to that is possible. I have replaced peanut butter with Sunflower butter and I have to read and analyze all my supplements with a fine toothcomb. At races the only nutrition I take from the events are the water or electrolyte supplements. I don’t chance the gels never know where soy will pop up.

I was wondering what the other food allergy sufferers here do to replace what they can’t eat, and what precautions they take during races?

2009-10-17 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2464477

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: RE: Triathletes with Food Allergies
I am allergic to soo many foods I cant even keep track, do you take shots or zyrtec or some sort of hystamine? I am highly allergic to soy, potatos,tomatos,along with everything else that swelled up on my back when I had a skin test done ten years ago. I still eat those foods so that maybe I have built up a small tolerance, I eat GU and gatorade endurance,powerbar drink,hammer gels on a regular basis for training. For races I will use Gu, and Gatorade and s-caps only. If you are getting a severe reaction from food alergies than you should be more concerned about a doctor visit, Im sure they have something that can help you, I usually get a mild skin rash if I get an allergy overload, its hardly a life threatening situation.
2009-10-17 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2464532

Central NJ
I had the skin test too. rather unpleasant,  I lucked out I can still eat potatoes.  I take zyrtec and drag my Epi pens with me wherever I go.  I was diagnosed 12 years  ago after a moderate reaction, to beans.  I don't get overly worried about mimimal exposures, mostly gastric issues. But the thought of a reaction during a race has crossed my mind.
2009-10-17 11:18 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
I'm allergic to almonds and soy and have anaphylactic reactions to them.  As such, I take my own food to races because most energy bars have almonds in them. I'll use water and gatorade from the course, but that's about it.  For after the race, I usually pack food in case there isn't anything I can eat.

Best advice I can give is to pack your own food and not have to depend on anything out on the course.
2009-10-17 1:06 PM

Central NJ
A lot of nutrition bars have peanuts and soy in them as well.

I Started this thread as I saw the Recent posts about Best foods ad Nutrition, I know some of us have unique needs and thought a little sharing of information could help some of our fellow triathletes with allergies.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathletes with Food Allergies Rss Feed