United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 39m 53s
Overall Rank = 501/1975
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 61/166
Event warmup:

Didn't have a warmup. It was a time trial start so we were standing in line waiting for our turn to jump in.
Swim
  • 1h 17m 42s
  • 4224 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt like I had a great swim. I really enjoyed it and pushed it just a little, but for the most part I took it easy. When we turned to head back down river, I never really felt the push from the current but I knew it was helping me. About halfway through I found David. I have no idea how in the hell we did that but it was awesome. I don't know if I caught him or if he caught me but it was pretty sweet. It made me feel great because he is such a great swimmer. So I followed him to the finish and we came out together. AWESOME!!
Transition 1
  • 07m 44s
Comments:

I had a really lone T1 but it is my first IM so I didn't want to forget anything or feel rushed.
Bike
  • 6h 31m 41s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt really good on the bike. I may have been able to push just a little bit harder but I felt like I had a good pace going. Jad flew by me on the first part of the race and I was thinking, "Man I hope he doesn't blow up." Well I passed him right at about mile 60 something and he didn't look too good. LOL. Nutrition was good. I'm writing this a year later so I really don't remember too much. I know the Ensure worked out good. I didn't have any GI problems. I think I may have had a powerbar and a banana also. I got off once to use the porta potty. Also used powergel.
Transition 2
  • 08m 31s
Comments:

Didn't take my shoes off. I walked with them on. Didn't jump off the bike either. That could have been a disaster if I tried that. Again it was slow cause I wanted to take my time and make sure everything was perfect. Changed socks.
Run
  • 4h 34m 15s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Run with my Newton Distance. I think I walked almost every single aid station. I wanted to make sure I was getting enough hydration and staying cool with pouring cold water on my head. Nutrition was good. I only used about half the Ensure bottle that I had in my jersey. And then when I got my special needs bag I think I only drank a little of that. I'm not too sure what else I did for nutrition besides powergels. I felt great on the run. I started to push it once I got to mile 20 to try and catch David but he had an amazing marathon and I couldn't quite catch him. Another thing was that my shoes were squeaking with every step because they were so soaked, but it never seemed to bother me at all.
Post race
Warm down:

Post race meal at the convention center.

Event comments:

What an amazing Ironman. To do my first one and finish it was sweet, but to do that and have my brother there by my side was super special.

Last updated: 2008-02-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:17:42 | 4224 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 68/166
Overall: 0/1975
Performance: Good
Suit: No wetsuit
Course: It started out in a little channel on the side of the river so it wasn't choppy at all. The first part of that was about 1/4 of the swim and it was up river. Then we got to the turn to head back down river.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:31:41 | 112 miles | 17.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 96/166
Wind:
Course: Course had a lot of hills. We drove the course the day before and thought "Holy shit this is going to be tough!" It was pretty tough but I took it easy on the hills and didn't try to power up them and that seemed to work great.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 08:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:34:15 | 26.2 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 61/166
I remember my heart rate staying in the 140's.
Course: Couse was super duper flat. Great!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes