Canadian Triathlon Forum Nova Scotia » Heart of the Highland & Port Hood Triathlons Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-19 4:58 AM

Regular
Maine
Subject: Heart of the Highland & Port Hood Triathlons
My wife is from Cape Breton so I thought I might try to sneak in a triathlon when we visit her family next summer.  Anyone have any information on either of these races?

2009-10-20 6:22 PM
in reply to: #2466265

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Heart of the Highland & Port Hood Triathlons
I haven't done the HotH race but I've heard good things about it.  The bike course is challenging and the water is cold but I've not heard any complaints besides those.

I've done Port Hood and really enjoyed the race.  The water is warm and navigation was fairly easy (despite the fact that I had an awful swim).  The bike course is almost entirely uphill to the turnaround which leads to a rough outbound leg but flying on the return leg (I think I went 35 out and 29 back - something like that anyway).  The run has one short steep climb and is pretty flat.  However, the year I did it was really hot (but they had iced sponges ).

Overall thought Port Hood was a good race and HotH has been ranked as one of the most scenic in Canada.

Shane
2009-10-21 8:55 AM

Regular
Maine
Thanks for the info.  It'll all come down to when they're scheduled as to which one I'll be doing.
2010-02-18 8:45 AM

I am doing the Port Hood tri this year. My family is from port Hood and I often vacation there. I have run many times there however this year will be my first time competing.
2010-02-18 11:53 PM
in reply to: #2679095

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Betsys - 2010-02-18 10:45 AM I am doing the Port Hood tri this year. My family is from port Hood and I often vacation there. I have run many times there however this year will be my first time competing.

Welcome Betsys- I'm in Halifax and suspect you will really enjoy the tri scene in Halifax- there are some good folks involved and a great mixture of veterans and rookies racing every year. There are also  a couple of good triclubs around, and some good coaching available too, one on here in fact who seems really knowledgeable.

I have been doing tris off and on for 15 years or thereabouts so if you have any queries feel free to ask. I'm going to plug the Bridgetown Triathlon while I'm here as the the best in NS if you're looking for another race. Flat and fast, really well run, and the best pre-race dinner around. IMO, of course! I've done a bunch in NB and Maine so can help there too if you want to do an 'away' race.

regards, Blair          
2010-04-25 4:55 PM

New user

In case you haven't checked it out lately, here is the TriNS schedule.

Heart of the Highlands is June 27
Port Hood is July 18th.
http://www.trins.ca/races/raceschedule.php

I don't think registration has started for either. 

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Nova Scotia » Heart of the Highland & Port Hood Triathlons Rss Feed