Sunny
Total Time = 1h 07m 56s
Overall Rank = 7/17
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I had to make a last minute dash to the toilet
Event warmup:

Rush back from the john and get my goggles on before the race started (barely)
Swim
  • 1h 07m 56s
  • 4400 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

The race starts in Aquatic Park and swim to Alcatraz and return. Aquatic Park is a beach enclosed by a semicircular breakwater with a gap in the middle which opens up into the bay. The National Park Service does not allow you to touch the island because of bird nesting so you turn around at the official boat and swim back to Aquatic park

OK so there I was on the beach at Aquatic Park looking out at Alcatraz. There was nothing between me and the island but a white buoy at the opening of Aquatic Park into the Bay about 1/4 mile off shore. It stands about 30" tall and it can't be missed. My plan was to swim strong from the start and when I cleared the entrance to the park, put my head down and go for it. I could see the breakwater for Aquatic Park as I breathed to each side so I knew I was lined up perfectly and ready to go for it. Then I hit the steel buoy head on. That's right. With nothing but a small buoy between me and Alcatraz, I managed to hit it!

I thought to myself what a stupid thing to do. It knocked my goggles off a bit but that was easily fixed. I was a bit surprised but otherwise I stayed focused on the race.

I had a great over and back and felt geat finishing up fast. I covered the 2.5 miles in just under 68 minutes. My split going over was nearly the same as my time coming back.

The real fun began as I jogged up the beach to the finish. In addition to the words of congratulations I received as I appoached, I received some looks of concern. I felt a bit cold but not surprisingly so. Then people mentioned I had a cut on my forehead. I realized I must have cut myself on the buoy. With it being a facial cut, it provided more than enough blood for me to have been doing some serious chumming for sharks during my swim It was good for a number of laughs.

I was 4 out of 7 in the skins division and 7 out of 17 overall

In case you're interested my race number was 13.

Post race
Warm down:

Just stood around with everyone and shivered until I was warm.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental hiccup

Last updated: 2009-09-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:07:56 | 4400 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 7/17
Performance: Good
Suit: Speedo brief
Course: Out to Alcatraz from Aquatic park and return
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Medium