Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m 7s
Overall Rank = 93/208
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up pretty early and had oatmeal.
Event warmup:

I needed to do a 15-mile long run this week, so I did 4 miles before the race out on the road.
Run
  • 1h 37m 7s
  • 10 miles
  • 09m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

It was fun. I felt good until the last two or three miles, when I started to fade. I made a conscious decision not to push it because it WAS only supposed to be a long training run, not a tempo run. I had pushed in the first 4 miles to shake an annoying guy who kept telling his wife their pace and how far they'd run. She wasn't any happier than I about hearing it but I didn't have to stay with him, so I pulled away.
What would you do differently?:

Well, certainly the four miles I ran before it started weren't necessary. ;-) I know that I wouldn't have let about five people who passed me in the last two miles get by me normally! ;-) Still, the point was a fun long run.

I also learned only in the second half that it was better to run in the standing water instead of the mud-- usually the ground under the water was firmer than the other ground-- which was either soggy grass or very deep mud, which was a suspicious brown color and some thought it smelled like s.hit! (there WERE horses on the trail during the run!)
Post race
Warm down:

I ran another mile on the road to get to 15. It was tough.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Two things-- the aforementioned four miles on the road prior to the start, and the extremely muddy conditions made it tough to run very fast at all. At times there was so much mud built up on my feet that I was carrying around a few extra pounds.

Event comments:

Fun race. I'd do it again.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-10-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:37:07 | 10 miles | 09m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 93/208
Performance: Good
Course: Very muddy-- shin-deep in spots. Lots of standing water to splash through. One stream crossing was eliminated as not safe, but there was still a pretty wide stream to cross with fast-moving muddy water that was about thigh-high. It had rained heavily the night before.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes