General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Allow myself to...introduce......myself. Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-27 8:05 AM

User image

Regular
Franklin, VA
Subject: Allow myself to...introduce......myself.
Hi everybody in Tri land!  I've been lurking for a few months and have been a fan of BT from the very start.  It has been, and continues to be a great resource!

So here is my back story:  From 2000 to 2008 I lived in Huntington Beach in Southern CA.  Great place with great weather that allowed me to hike, mountain bike and even attempt to surf year round.  I love pretty much everything about outdoor sports and activities (snakes and mosquitos being an exception.)  Then, in 2008 my wife and I moved back to Virginia.  It was time to be a little closer to family and to where we grew up.  It's been quite a transition!  Access to world class outdoor activities in my back yard is a thing of the past.--but even while living in SoCal I had toyed with the idea of trying a tri.

Recently, though, that thought has materialized as I've begun to train for a Sprint Tri in the spring.  Tri'ing is helping fulfill my need to get outside.  But it won't be easy!  I've never been skinny, and after a stint in the hospital a couple years ago, I managed to really pack on the pounds.  So you may also see me hanging around the tri'ing for weighloss forum!

I started my training with jogging.  Well--walk/jogging.  In a little over a month I've worked up to jogging straight for almost 2 miles without stopping.  It's hard to believe I am calling that an accomplishment.  The road back to health definitely takes more commitment than soft couch of sloth!  This morning I went for my first swim in years.  (I basically see swimming pools as big toilets.)  Having grown up amphibious, I was surprised at my lack of conditioning there, too, but loved the process and also loved finally incorporating some no impact training!
So, to make a long story boring, I'm here and I'm here for good.  Hello again to all of you out in cyber land and thanks for the motivation and information already passed along to this lurking newbie!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay forever young!

2009-10-27 8:27 AM
in reply to: #2481258

User image

Expert
Champaign Area, IL
Subject: RE: Allow myself to...introduce......myself.
Welcome to BT......keep up the great work
2009-10-28 6:14 PM
in reply to: #2481258

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Subject: RE: Allow myself to...introduce......myself.
Hey, 2 mile is 2 miles!! That's more than a lot of people can do!!

Congrats on that and good luck working up to that first tri!!

Happy training!!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Allow myself to...introduce......myself. Rss Feed