General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 36m 42s
Overall Rank = 1268/2500
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 239/260
Pre-race routine:

Let me start by saying that if you have not done Ironman Austin you are missing out! They did it right. A 70.3 that is up there with any 140.6 venue.

My journey started with a 16 hr drive with my wife and two kids from Louisville Kentucky. We arrived in Austin at 5:0 PM on Thursday. We got checked in and relaxed for the evening and did some visiting with some of my wife's friends from college and High School. Friday we got up early drove the bike course and checked out the swim.

Race morning is got up at 3:30 took a shower and ate two packs of instance oatmeal with water. I arrived at the park and got on a bus at 5:00 AM, setup transition and took a nap before my 8:10 start.

My goal was a sub 6 and I would have been happy with a 6:30.
Event warmup:

A nap before my start.
Swim
  • 40m 37s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was AWESOME and I was PUMPED!! I usually hang back and to the outside and that was the plan but people were moving too slow off the gun so I just dove in and started swimming. I stayed close to the markers and contact was moderate. Swam over some people and some swam over me. At the first turn some one was grabbing my ankle and pulling me back so I just kicked a little harder and made contact with something hard, I am thinking a head. After the first turn I got in some clear water and got into a rhythm that lasted for the remainder of the swim.
I was doing good until I got elbow deep in sea grass and started using extra effort to get through the grass. Other than that it was a my best swim yet. I came out the water and ran to the strippers, what a treat. Some very hot girl tells me to lay down so she can strip me...wow! There is a first for everything.
What would you do differently?:

Lesson learned: Swim Faster. My goal was 35 min and I did 40 min and some secs.
Transition 1
  • 08m
Comments:

This was my first experience with a split transition and it took a little time for me to pack my wetsuit in my bag and get out of there. I wanted a 2-3 min T1 and got a 8 min.

What would I change: Shove things in the bag and not pack it. I am a little anal...
Bike
  • 3h 35m 47s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.57 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where I started to fall apart. My plan was to go out steady for the first half and slowly poor it on starting at mile 30. I was shooting for a 2:45 to 3:00 ride. I was doing good on nutrition and hydration the first 25 miles or so until I hit the sharp right turn off of Monkey into the climb. I miss calculated my position and speed in the turn and ended up in the ditch on the other side of the street. I got back on the road and started up the hill. This is where I started to try and make up time on the bike. At mile 36 I got a flat and knew at this time that my goal was shot. I continued to try and make up time and in the process I became dehydrated and lacked some nutrition. When I got to T2 I was hurting really bad.

Lesson learned: Take my lost time and not try to make it up. Keep on my plan for bike, nutrition and hydration.

Transition 2
  • 12m
Comments:

Not much I would do differently here. I was hurting bad and had a 12:00 min T2. I was dizzy, my head was hurting and I was doing all I could to stay standing. I thought I was going to have to call medical and DNF. I slammed down about 20 ounces of infinit Run formula ate a banana and did what I could to get off the ground and on my feet again. I used some Triathlon Mind Training techniques to calm myself down and get my head back in the game then I continued on to the run.

Not go so hard to make up lost time on the bike.
Run
  • 3h 00m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a disaster. I started to run out of T2 and ran pass the photographer then started walking. I slammed down another 16 oz of infinit and continued to walk through mile 1. I started running a 10:20 pace and that lasted for about .25 mile until I could not go any further. I started walking again and did so through mile 3. I worked on my mind training techniques and at about mile three I started to feel better. I started taking water and coke from the aid stations. Regular Coke has never tasted better. At about the finish of the first loop I started feeling really good and started to pick up my pace. On loop two and three I did a lot better but it was still a really sad run and walk over all. When I was on my last two miles all the way into the arena something clicked and I started hauling ass to the finish. I crossed the line and meet up with some friends and my family. I wanted a 2:15 run and ended up with a 3:00:13.

Lesson learned: Ride for the run...
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water then went to the hotel, showered and had dinner with family and friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not following my race plan for exertion, nutrition and hydration.

Event comments:

This has been the best 70.3 I have been to. They did it right! Over all I had some rookie lessons learned but I was happy with my finish time considering.

Last updated: 2009-10-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:37 | 2112 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 137/260
Overall: 0/2500
Performance: Good
HR avg 171 = 96%
Suit: 2XU Sleeveless
Course: Awesome.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:35:47 | 56 miles | 15.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 243/260
Performance: Below average
HR avg 165 = 93%
Wind: Strong
Course: Tricky with a lot of sharp turns leading into long or steep climbs.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 12:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
03:00:13 | 13.1 miles | 13m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 244/260
Performance: Bad
HR avg 132 = 74%
Course: I liked the three loop course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-10-27 9:08 PM

User image

Not where I want to be...
Subject: LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Festival Rss Feed