General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-28 9:04 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Training Plan
It has been so quiet in here this month I thought I would see if anyone is taking the off season completely off, doing maintenance workouts, or just doing whatever training they feel like on any given day? Also, when will you start the actual training for the race season again?

This off season I'm going to hit the weights to build more force on the bike, then transition into maintenance phase and start my base phase in March. Plan on doing Lake Stevens for my A race this year.

2009-10-28 2:38 PM
in reply to: #2483616

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Subject: RE: Training Plan

My last tri was the end of August. I had 1 or 2 more scheduled but instead did 2 OW races and called it quits the end of September. I took off October and am now beginning my off season training which focuses heavily on cycling (trainer).

2009-10-28 3:45 PM

User image

Expert
Salem

I am also in a Winter Maintenance phase right now (if you can call it that; still pretty motivated to train).  Last race was Scoggin Valley Sprint Tri on Sept. 5th.  Took three weeks off; was suppose to be one week, but got sick and ended upp being three.  I am following a 20 week maintenance plan off BT.  I am doing a lot more swimming than it calls for by using a 2500 yd. Int. Swim Workout 2- 3 times per week.  For the biking I am in a Spinning Class twice a week for 60 min. with an instructor who competes in Triathlons.  Also will be adding a Saturday Spinning Class for 90 minutes starting the first Sat. in November and it goes for four months.  Trying to incorporate some Core Training Exercises that I got from the site three times a week.  Running right now is just about maintaining.  Pretty full schedule, but I do enjoy the training and need to focus on losing some weight, maintaining my fitness and becoming stronger on the bike to assist my run.

Plans are three Sprints next year and a potentially an "A" race being an olympic distance later in the year.  I was also considering Pacific Crest Olympic distance as a worthy race to guage where I am at.  All this with the expectation to compete at Olympic Distances 2 years out year and work towards a 70.3 either at Lake Stevens or Boise.

I most likely will use a Olympic distance plan in the Spring of 2010 or late winter to prep for my "A" race.  Any suggestions on a Olympic Distance race later in the year?

Wish more Oregonians were posting.

2009-10-29 10:05 AM

User image

Eugene, Oregon
Cyclocross season started in Sept. so everything else is maintenance mode till the season is over tword the end of Dec. This is my first year racing cyclocross, and man those races kick your a$$. I'd recomend it to anyone who wants to kick up their power a notch. Plus its a blast to race around in the mud and grass on a whats essentially a road bike.
2009-10-30 3:52 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
Currently run focused with s/b maint - half marathon training - trying to up run to do HIM next year. Also hope to throw in some downhill skiing crosstraining soon

One of these days i'm going to try cross!
2009-11-01 3:14 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
gbgice - 2009-10-28 7:04 AM It has been so quiet in here this month I thought I would see if anyone is taking the off season completely off, doing maintenance workouts, or just doing whatever training they feel like on any given day? Also, when will you start the actual training for the race season again? This off season I'm going to hit the weights to build more force on the bike, then transition into maintenance phase and start my base phase in March. Plan on doing Lake Stevens for my A race this year.

Just a FYI, I heard some bad things about Lake Stevens so you might want to check into it.  It was all organization type stuff so they might have fixed some of the problems but they were pretty big problems

2009-12-02 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Portland,OR

I've got no real plan at the moment.  Hoping to do an Oly and a HIM next year, but haven't really figured much out beyond that.  I should really get on it though.

2009-12-04 9:51 PM

User image

Regular
Monmouth, Oregon
Just did Ironman Arizona 2 weeks ago so I've taken a couple of weeks off. I plan on getting to the weights and doing some maintenance type work through spring. I am doing Ironman Arizona again next year so that will be my major focus. I will do the Blue Lake races in the summer and Lake Stevens. I will probably do the Black Diamond Half again also. My next scheduled event is the Seattle Rock n Roll marathon in June.

FYI, I did Lake Stevens this year and there were NOT any major problems for the average joe. I'm not fast or slow just kind of in between and thought the race was well run. I know there were some problems with folks that were at the end of the bike but most people had no idea about any of that. I think it affected around 10 people or so, but not sure about that. I'm sure it wasn't fun for them but it wasn't what I would call a major issue. I will be doing the race again this year.

Hope everyone has a great CHRISTmas.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plan Rss Feed