General Discussion Race Reports! » USMC Toys for Tots Half Marathon Trail Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

USMC Toys for Tots Half Marathon Trail Run - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Farmington, Georgia
United States
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 31m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up bright and early to get to the race venue. Ate a power bar and had some water and powerade. I arrived at the race venue 15 minutes late. According to active.com, the race venue was only 55 miles from where I lived. It was wrong. The race venue was further away. When I arrived, the Race Director allowed me to still run and she said that I wasn't that far behind. My official time for the race was around 3:31 adding in my lateness...unofficially, I was around 3:15.
Event warmup:

No warmup since I was late.
Run
  • 3h 31m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 16m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first real trail run and I was slightly undertrained for this. Probably not the best move.

The course was tough. Lots of steep inclines, in fact one of the inclines I felt that I needed mountain climbing gear for it. I tripped over a couple of rocks and tree roots. Almost did a couple of face plants into the ground. The first lap of 7 miles went well, I was under 1:30 (subtracting the 15 minutes of lateness from that time). Was hoping to get under 3 hours, but as the second lap progressed, I started to get slower. Main goal for me was to finish in one piece and not to get injured.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough experience on trails

Event comments:

Glad to have finished this race. Learned that running on trails is totally different that doing 13.1 miles out on the road. My typical time for a half on the road is around 2 hours with my best being a 1:57.

When I get the chance, I really want to spend more time running on trails. It was a lot of fun to do this race, and I plan on doing this one again next year.

The race was well organized, and to my surprise they gave everyone finishers medals. Was not expecting that.

Last updated: 2009-11-01 12:00 AM
Running
03:31:00 | 13.1 miles | 16m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: The course was two loops on trails in Farmington, GA.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-11-01 3:53 PM

Master
Subject: USMC Toys for Tots Half Marathon Trail Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » USMC Toys for Tots Half Marathon Trail Run Rss Feed