Badgerlandstriders
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 29m
Overall Rank = 363/439
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 45/54
Pre-race routine:

Actually changed things up a bit. Had a piece of PB toast and a piece of home-made strawberry jelly toast and a banana plus two cups of coffee. Got there and picked up number and a very cool long sleeve tech shirt. Only gripe is the 26.2 tattoo on the running pumpkin's arm. It was a 5k or 15k.
Event warmup:

Did the normal routine of dynamic stretches which I am still embarrassed to do in public so found a quiet hallway and did them. Stayed inside until the last possible minute - it was cold and windy!
Run
  • 1h 29m
  • 15 kms
  • 05m 56s  min/km
Comments:

Given that my mileage and intensity were cut severely that last two weeks, I was happy with the way things went. My IT band in my left leg has been giving me trouble so I got new shoes and am torturing myself on the foam roller. It was helping and helped me at least hit 9:30/mile.

It was a great course and I can't say enough about the route. Took it easy for the first two miles...hit the hill and pushed it as always. Didn't back off at the top and kept increasing pace throughout the run. Skipped the beer near the end even though I instinctively started heading that direction, something kept me from going over. Fred Flintstone gave my wife and I some encouragement at the second to last turn and that gave us both the extra juice to sprint (if you can call it a sprint) to the finish. Crossed the line...grabbed a water bottle, two cookies and hit the bus back to the start. Went home and took our oldest to his soccer game.
What would you do differently?:

Start at least mid-pack versus back of the pack. Waaayyyy too many people to pass that think they own the path! Felt bad for the Wheaties box pushing two kids in a stroller. He must have said "LEFT" three times and they never moved! We got past and the two girls commented on how awesome it was that he was doing it in costume with the two kids. I told them it would've been more awesome if they would've moved out of his way when he said "LEFT". Too many people see you coming and move almost to block you. Took to the grass quite a bit and I think it actually improved our time.
Post race
Warm down:

Water bottle...two cookies...stinky, sweaty bus ride back to the start...dude crack some windows! :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nervous about IT band in left leg acting up

Last updated: 2009-10-16 12:00 AM
Running
01:29:00 | 15 kms | 05m 56s  min/km
Age Group: 45/54
Overall: 363/439
Performance: Good
Course: Enjoyed the course! I love running along the lake and the park setting for the middle part of the run was great as well!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-11-01 9:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Germantown, WI
Subject: Lakefront Discovery Run

2009-11-01 9:29 PM
in reply to: #2492503

User image

Veteran
Germantown, WI
Subject: RE: Lakefront Discovery Run
DOH!!! Forgot to thank my wife for running with me. She is much faster than I, but she tolerates me. I think we did a couple 8:00/mile for her in the middle, but that was to get past all the people. Thank you wife...you made it more fun!
2009-11-02 12:54 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
congrats on a solid race...  glad to hear the IT band stayed in check for you... 
2009-11-03 11:55 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

IT pain sucks, so props to you for fighting through it and racing a solid race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lakefront Discovery Run Rss Feed