General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting My Bike Fit Today...Finally! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-03 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Subject: Getting My Bike Fit Today...Finally!
Yeah, I've waited 4+ months and raced 3 times on my bike that is definitly not fit properly. Finally going today for a pro fit (1st one).  Too much lower back pain, numbness, chafing and general discomfort.

What should I be asking?
What should I make sure they ask me?
What details shouldn't be overlooked?

I want to make sure I get the most out of this fitting and the best fit possible.  BTW, riding an
09 Trek 2.3 Roadie.

Advice?

Thanks!

2009-11-03 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2495065

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Getting My Bike Fit Today...Finally!
Tell them your goals, what type of races you plan on doing including distances.  Make sure you tell them about your pains, numbness, chafing, etc.

Are you getting aero bars fitted?  Or as a road bike?
2009-11-03 9:56 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
I have clip on aero's and have an aero fit specific scheduled. I discussed with them my setup when making the appt.
2009-11-03 11:59 PM

New user
Uh oh... I remember this for a friend of mine...he ended up coming out of that store with a new bike. He cave easily....not that I helped persuade him at all!!Innocent
2009-11-04 12:31 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Here's what a good bike fit should include:

Interview:
Do you have any injuries or problems now; the fitter needs to find those out so he can take that in consideration when fitting
What are you currently doing and your goals; to find out what kind of fit do you need to achieve, if short TT's on primarily flat ground, would require a very low, aero position where comfort is of lesser importance, if you goal is an ironman, well, then comfort is of primarily importance and aero will be a compromise.

Measurements and flexibility:
The fitter should measure your body (overall height, leg length, fibula length, arm length, shoulder width, etc. etc. etc.) and then also measure your flexibility (overall, lower back, shoulders, etc. etc.). All this to get an understanding of how your body is functioning today and what kind of abnormalities he will have to take in consideration (for example, I have very long fibulas for being a guy and that requires fitters to have me sit fairly far back, or I will loose power).

Time to get on the bike:
The fitter should have you ride a bit and just observe, this will give him an understanding of body movement on the existing bike fit and combined with the knowledge he gained during the interview and measurements/flexibility tests, develop an understanding to why you have the problems you have. After that, he may start to move things around. Make sure that you take your time each time something is changed to really feel if there is a difference and if that is good or bad. Do not rush things!!!

You should leave the fitting with not a good bike fit, but also have all your fit numbers recorded (i.e. saddle position in relationship to bottom bracket center, saddle height, position of the handle bars both vertically and length wise on the bike, position of shifters, etc. etc. etc.).

Always ask the fitter what is included in the price of the fitting, does follow up fitting cost extra or is that included? Quite likely, you will need to go back to the fitter after a few weeks to a month of riding for minor adjustments (a follow up fitting if you like).

Hope I didn't miss anything...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting My Bike Fit Today...Finally! Rss Feed