Australia
31C / 88F
Overcast
Total Time = 25m 28s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Work all day, get changed, head down to Barrack St Jetty for the start.
Event warmup:

Organisers ran a 10 minute warm-up full of different stretches which was fun, as I'm very lax on warming up.....
Run
  • 25m 28s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 05s  min/km
Comments:

I knew it was going to be hot and humid, so I drank plenty of water & eloctrlyte drink during the afternoon. Leaving work at 5 for a 5:30 start with no porta-potties meant I was, how shall I say it, bursting :)
Was aiming to go under 25 minutes but the humidity put paid to that. Plus the course was full of 1600 people all trying to run or walk on a 2m wide path. It was a little busy!
Think I set out too quick, as I hit 2km at 4:45 pace, then the humidity got me and I ran the rest at 5:15ish. Still not too bad for me, especially as I'd had a tough bike ride the week before, riding 35km into a 50km/h wind! Knees were still aching 5 days later...!

What would you do differently?:

Either be more careful drinking water during the afternoon, or head into the pub next door to the start to visit the gents!
Post race
Warm down:

Hot-dogs, sushi, fruit salad skewers, beer all provided as part of the entrance fee.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of general run speed, too much cycling into a headwind the week before, and the humidity.

Event comments:

This was an annual charity event, but the first time I've done it. Would definitely do it again. Running alongside the Swan is one of my lunchtime courses, but it is such a scenic run that I can't imagine anywhere else being so accesible. Loved it!

Last updated: 2009-11-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:28 | 05 kms | 05m 05s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: The prettiest 5km run you could imagine. Starting at Barrack St Jetty and running alongside the Swan river to the UWA. Run at dusk made it even more scenic. Unfortunately didn't see any dolpins this time. Even though we started at 5:30pm it was still 31C and very humid....!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes