General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Specialized Transition Comp – Weird sizing??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-05 10:43 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Specialized Transition Comp – Weird sizing???

Hello,

I have the opportunity to buy a 2009 Specialized Comp (
http://tinyurl.com/y8qsykx). It is a very very good deal.

I have read a lot of very good comments about the bike, but looking at the “Stack and Reach” it seems to me that the sizing is kind of weird.

Having compared it to various brands (e.g. Cannondale, Cervelo, Argon 18, Kuota), the stack and reach is always on of the lowest. E.g. even in the size XL the stack is lower than a Cervelo P3 in 58. The reach tough is very short.

What is your take on that? I am 6’1’’ and the size, which I could buy, is L (Stack 52.60, Reach 40.50) and when I did the fit for my road bike, the fitter told me that my torso is definitely shorter than for other people of my size.

Much as I will appreciate all your comments, please, don’t loose your valuable time by posting something that I should see a Tri Fitter first, determine my stack/reach, that the money is well invested, etc. I know that and I am aware that this would be the perfect process – but currently this is not feasible for various reasons.

Take care,

YouYou

2009-11-05 11:12 AM
in reply to: #2499116

Extreme Veteran
OKC
Subject: RE: Specialized Transition Comp – Weird sizing???
Are you asking if you could fit on that? Yes, IMO. If you really do have a short torso, it might be ideal.
2009-11-05 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2499187

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I'm not an expert, BUT, stack is not as important as reach...

I switched from a Cervelo P2 to a P3 (both 61cm)  They have identical reach, but the P3 has a lower top tube and shorter head tube (which resultes in a lower stack).  Since the rest of the geometry is the same, it was easily fixed by exposing the seat post an additional cm or two as well as add about 2cm worth of spacers under the bars...  Now it's EXACTLY like the P2 fit wise.

To be honest, I never heard of stack really being used for bike selection is reach is FAR more important.  For road bikes, the stack could be a little more significant since that could relate to the head tube length, and you would want to make sure the head tube is long enough to get your in right position (but again, that can sort of be fixed with additional spacers under the bars).

If the bike fits reach wise and you are not pushing the limits of exposing the seat post, you should be fine.
2009-11-05 12:29 PM
in reply to: #2499242

Extreme Veteran
OKC
I think you're right in that reach is much more important... you can't fix a bike that's too long. But you really have to take both measures into factor.

For example, my dual has a stack/reach of 55/44. But, I have a 3cm head cap under the stem.

so stack = 3 * sin (72 - head tube angle) = ~58
& reach = 3 * cos (72) = 44 + .93 = ~43

I'd like for the reach to be about 1cm shorter, to boot. I already have my cockpit as short as I can make it. Now, I'd also like to go lower, but that effectively increases my reach. Which is why now that I'm looking to upgrade, the Cannondale Slice is looking very, very good.

Your seat height should be etched in stone, I'd never change seat height to fix a position issue.
2009-11-06 9:03 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Specialized does tend to run a bit short in the reach department, proportionally speaking. It's not alone in that--C'dale, trek, etc. they do as well. For someone built like I am--all leg--I need a bike that can fit my height, but one that accommodates my short torso (i'm 5' 9.5" with a 34.5 true inseam).

COULD you fit on a Transition? Sure. You can MAKE most reasonable thikngs fit...but it may not be the best bike for you, if you are more proportionally balanced.

FWIW, I ride a medium.
2009-11-06 10:34 AM

User image

Regular

Hello all,

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Take care

YouYou

2009-11-06 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2500951

For what it"s worth I am also 6'1 and ride a large Transition Comp.  I've been fit by two different people and they've never voiced the opinion that the bike was too small.  The second fit was "triathlon specific" and my current setup utilizes the zero setback seatpost and a longer stem.  I don't have any experience on other tri frames to compare to but I'm pretty darn comfortable with this set-up.  Hope this helps.  It's a great bike.
2010-01-26 11:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central Connecticut
So it's been over 2 months....did you get the bike? If so, how does it fit? I'm curious because you and I have very similar body dimensions and I just ordered an 09 S-Works Transition, size Large.

<------I'm going to have to Photoshop a new avatar soon... no more 07 Cannondale Slice.

Edited by enduropro 2010-01-26 11:11 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Specialized Transition Comp – Weird sizing??? Rss Feed