Houston Masters Sports Association
77F / 25C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 58m 43s
Overall Rank = last?/2080
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30...left house at 5:05....went to Finishline to meet other Fort Bend Fit runners....carpooled with my sister and her friend.
got downtown and immediately hit the porta potties....durn nerves!!!! ;)
Ate bagel/pb and banana
another porta potty visit! ;)
filled my runner belt bottles
porta potties were packed...so waited! and of course that meant hitting one of the first I spotted on the run! next time I will wait in line! cuz instead I had to wait while my time was ticking away!
stretched
Event warmup:

See above....most was waiting in line for porta potty! ;)
there is a huge amount of fort bend fit runners...we had a group discussion/prayer then a huge yell of FORT BEND FIT WHOYAAAAAH! this is what you say when you pass any other FBF runners...WHOYA! even though I knew none of the other runners...I heard that the entire race! was great inspiration for me!!!
Run
  • 2h 58m 43s
  • 15.5 miles
  • 11m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

My first loop I was averaging 10 min miles...was just where I wanted to be...then I fell apart! bathroom stop....and lost my gu packet...had not gu for the last loop and a half! I have never seen so many empty gu packets on the ground...funny how I noticed them all...if I had not lost mine..I would nver had even noticed them...I think subconciously I was looking to find a full one...MY FULL ONE! sure would have given my arm for one! ;)
What would you do differently?:

put my gu in a secure pocket!

Post race
Warm down:

my sister and some of her friends were waiting at the finish line for me! we walked over got our finishing shirt/some fruit/water...and then went to stretch...my sister got a massage...but I decided to bypass the massage as they would have had to wait for me...instead I went home to her house...jumped in the pool...and then went home to take a nice bubble bath! ;) Calgon...did take me away! haha

What limited your ability to perform faster:

heat/humidity...and my lost gu packets!

Event comments:

Great volunteers...had plenty of water/aid stations. volunteers at the mile markers yelling out times....not as many spectators as expected...but my family was there..and that was all that mattered!

Last updated: 2009-11-06 12:00 AM
Running
02:58:43 | 15.5 miles | 11m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/2080
Performance: Average
If it werent for the potty break and the three times (was three 5.2 mile laps) I passed my family and had to stop and kiss and hug each of the 7 members there....I think I would have had a little better time! ;) my sister was just in front of me...she runs a faster pace and I did not want to get pushed to run at her pace....I would see her every time we would make a turn....and of course we would yell WHOYA! ;)
Course: Course started in Houston downtown area and headed out Memorial Park Drive...for just over 2.6 miles...we would turn around at Shepard and head back to town...did this loop three times!! great for spectators..could sit or stand in the median and see thier family member 6 times...course was not as flat as I expected...had many over and under passes...but nothing like we would have at home...thank goodness for the overcast skies...I would have crumbled in the heat if not!!!! was in the upper 70s and humid...and I have never sweated like this before! was dripping off the bill of my cap!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes