General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N Roll San Antonio Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'N Roll San Antonio Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Antonio, Texas
United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 04m 49s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45. Drank some coffee and water. Forced a half bagel with peanut butter and honey. The shuttles only ran from 4:30-6AM so had to be there early even though the race didn't start til 7:30. Eric walked to the shuttle with me so I didn't have to walk by myself. (Spectators weren't allowed on the shuttles.) Lines were ridiculously long but they moved pretty quickly.
Event warmup:

No real warmup but I'd say the mile walk from when the buses dropped us off to the start. Plus the gear bag drop off and my corral were in opposite directions. Too much walking for me beforehand! I would not have been happy if I was doing the marathon.
Run
  • 2h 04m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I was feeling good and was in a nice rhythm most of the race. I ran much of the race with a newfound friend. Shout out to Tricia! (who also happened to be a triathlete) We just happened to be going the same pace. (She was doing the marathon though.) This made much of the time pass by faster. It also helped to see Eric at various points on the course. Shortly after the turn around point (mile 10.5) for the half, I started going downhill. Legs became really heavy and it took everything I had to not walk. At this point I knew the PR wasn't going to happen. I just wanted to finish. Last mile calves were cramping as well. One last hill and another turn right before the finish. Killer!
What would you do differently?:

Need to learn how to drink more while running. If I have to stop to get more fluids, then I have to stop. With a temp of 65 and 90% humidity, I need fluids!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through the food line and then met Eric. Sat down and then more cramping. Left calf was in some major pain but it finally went away. Then walked the more than half mile back to the hotel. (No parking was available at the finish.)

Event comments:

I doubt I will ever do this race again. The shuttles and the point to point race were a pain. I didn't like the spectators (aka Eric) not being able to be at the start. The post race food was a little disappointing. But on a positive note, the volunteers and bands were good.

Last updated: 2009-07-30 12:00 AM
Running
02:04:49 | 13.1 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Course was okay...lots and lots of turns and a couple of hills. Not as much crowd support as I would have liked. The band every mile was cool but between some of them it was complete silence.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-11-16 10:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: Rock 'N Roll San Antonio Half Marathon

2009-11-16 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2515808

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Subject: RE: Rock 'N Roll San Antonio Half Marathon
Great race, especially with the warmer temps and humidity!  Houston will treat ya right!!!
2009-11-16 12:42 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Great job, especially with the cramping and humidity!  It always makes it easier finding a running partner like that.  I've never done a point to point race...sounds like a lot of hassle. 
2009-11-16 9:03 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Congrats on your race! You worked hard and it paid off-nice finish!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'N Roll San Antonio Half Marathon Rss Feed