Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 46s
Overall Rank = 62/138
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

Tried to keep warm in the car. Had a GU about 45 minutes prior
Event warmup:

Stretched and jogged a bit (5-10 minutes) trying to keep warm.
Run
  • 1h 25m 46s
  • 10 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Tried to keep it reigned in but I think I was too comfortable. Overall it felt like a hard workout and not really a race. Probably should start pushing myself more in races. Checked cadence a few times. Pretty steady at 78-81 strides per min (26-27 per 20 sec). Feels like a nice comfortable cadence for me.
What would you do differently?:

see above
Post race
Warm down:

A little stretching then went to post race party.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Had a hard time keeping a consistent pace. With the Baltimore Half an Baltimore 10-miler there were so many people that once the crowd thinned out I could find people running pretty much the same pace and fall in. There weren't a lot of people at this race so that didn't happen. I don't pay attention to pace while training (other than trying to keep it down and feel comfortable) so I need to get more comfortable running my pace.

Event comments:

First small race I've done. Water station spacing didn't seem very uniform and hence awkward. Only water, no Gatorade. I would do the race again but I'd like to do some other smaller races to to see how this compares. Probably not fair to judge it compared to larger Baltimore races.

Also, the official results say the race was only 9.62 miles. That doesn't match what I had on my foot pod or what you get using gmap-pedometer.com to map the course. And there was an extra out-and-back section we ran that's not listed on the map. Seems a little strange that they would say the course was shorter.

Last updated: 2009-07-27 12:00 AM
Running
01:25:46 | 10 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 62/138
Performance: Below average
HR Overall: Avg: 173 Max: 189 Lap 1: Miles 1-3 Time : 25:23 Avg HR : 172 Lap 2: Miles 4-6 Time : 25:29 Avg HR : 170 Lap 3: Miles 7-9 Time : 26:48 Avg HR : 175
Course: Mostly flat. A couple of short hills but nothing at all like around Baltimore or anything around here. There were a couple of loops and two out and back segments, one of which wasn't on the course map.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes