Sunny
Total Time = 9h 57m 42s
Overall Rank = 386/1016
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 115/298
Pre-race routine:

Cereal, Gatorade, Power Bar
Event warmup:

For a 50? 1/2 mile walk to the starting line.
Run
  • 9h 57m 42s
  • 50 miles
  • 11m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

It was been an almost daily distraction for 22 weeks, starting last June 27 with 10 miles out with the Annapolis Striders Saturday AM runs.

This was all pushed by Dave as I am blissfully unaware of this events as you guys are, until now that is.

I proposed we shoot for it next year but Dave saw this year's schedule open and lobbied hard for 2009. So 2009 it was to be.

It is making the crazy Goofy race and a half anti-climatic but we'll just have to raise the bar now.

Not knowing what to expect for a 50 mile run, I had a challenge to set a realistic goal. That starts with the 12 hour cut off, 14 hours if you requested a 5AM start. My first thoughts were to do just that, but reading more, I read two things. Well-prepared four hour marathoners, finish JFK in the 10 hour range and they frown upon 5 am starters. Add to this that the race is on a wooded section of the Appalachian Trail (AT) from miles 2 to 15 and the sun does not raise until 7.

So the 7 am start was accepted. I was concerned about being disqualified for coming in at 12:05 when the 5AM started were allowed to finish at 12:05 and be accepted. Other concerns came from reading different material that said you really need course handlers to help you with "stuff", change of shoes, pealing off layers of cloths, adding layers later in the day, ..... Other input I got was the course is well stocked and you are fine. We did not twist any friends arms firmly enough to come out to support us so we were on our own.

My goals evolved to settling on a low 10 hours time would be a great, fantasy goal was sub 10, under eleven I'd have to call a victory, and I have to accept a finish. 50 miles is a long way after all. I have only run marathons before at 26.2 miles and a lot could happen between 26 and 50.

Dave has been dealing with knee and other health issues and started talking about not finishing.

We came off the first section of the AT in just over 3 hours, way faster than we thought we be doing. I thought 4 hours was likely, Dave was thinking 3:40-3:20 maybe. Experience has us being more concerned with going out fast than celebrating it.

The next 26 miles is along the tow path of the C&O canal. FLAT, non changing, flat, and all the same, except for the many times I stopped to empty rocks from my shoes. I think that was the hardest part of the race. Normal road running has you changing up a bit and you get to work different things out.

Dave and I ran mostly together, separating and coming back together several times, as one of us would stop talking to friends for waiting in the port-a-potty line. (Wow, TMI, but that was not an option) Somewhere around mile 35, Dave announced that he was going to walk an extended period of time until he recovered which experience told him he would. I was not ready to give up on sub 10 dream, and carried on, somewhat expected to see him again.

10 hours is a 12 min pace, and my watch was reading 12:05 overall, so I worked hard to register sub 12 minute miles. I was not running that slowly but was taking frequent walking breaks and I am not know to be quick at that aid stations. I'd work the overall pace down to 12:00 only to see it fall at the aid stations. I also had two factors saying 12:00 was not going to cut it. The garmin was registering miles before course markings and the race is 50.2 miles. So the pace had to get to 11:30 but 30 some miles behind 30 seconds only moves that average down one sec, the goal becomes 11:00.

I was thrilled to get to mile 38 where 12 miles could almost be considered short. My pacing math continued thinking I'll need to put in some 10 min miles toward the end to assure a sub 10 hours time. I had come too far to let that slip.

The course leaves the tow path with 8 miles to go. Wow, what a change to get back on roads, first with real climb that everyone walked, then with the usual rolling hills. At first that was tough but soon I think it was advantageous to have the variety. The pace picked up for anyone still running. I think most people can see the end coming and press on at that point. I was able to keep picking up the paces gently, slowing passing people along the way.

I was able to close with the fastest miles of the day toward the end. Not know the course, never really wanted to "go for it", When the noise of the finish line was heard you know you are there, I see the read lights of the finish clock, eye up the last few people in front of me that I can pass, and finally get close enough that I see the clock, YES!!!! Sub 10.

9:57:42

I greeted Dave a couple of hundred yards out from the finish line, and hour and a half later.

It was a great day.

What would you do differently?:

Hard to imaging topping that right now.
Post race
Warm down:

Leaning up against a truck forming the finish line chute until I could walk away. Are you OK? Do you need help? I'm fine, really. I'll just stay right here.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

um? it's 50 miles? That a long way.

Last updated: 2009-11-23 12:00 AM
Running
09:57:42 | 50 miles | 11m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/298
Overall: 0/1016
Performance: Good
Average HR 138
Course: 2.5 miles uphill road, 13 mile narrow leave covered rocky trail, 27 miles of level tow wide path, 8 mile rolling hills road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-11-23 8:57 PM

Subject: JFK 50 Mile

2009-11-23 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2528259

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Subject: RE: JFK 50 Mile
Great job on an awesome finish, Roger!  That's pretty amazing that you were able to do sub-10 hours.  Congrats!  See, letting Dave talk you into something often ends well.  :-)
2009-11-23 10:27 PM
in reply to: #2528259

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: JFK 50 Mile
WOOHOO!!!  Congrats! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » JFK 50 Mile Rss Feed