Cairns Crocs Triathlon Club
28C / 82F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 57m 50s
Overall Rank = DFL/78
Age Group = open male
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

nothing really.. just woke up at 4am and rolled around until 5. Got up and suited up. had a yoghurt and weet bix and started drinking water. Cairns is humid at the best of times, so I had a goal of really staying hydrated.
Event warmup:

Got to the site pretty early, so managed to get a good parking spot. put the bike together and quickly rode up and down the street to make sure everything was working ok. Put the form in and got tagged.. went and setup tranistion. I was really very calm.. no nerves.. nothing.. maybe I was too calm, because boy did the wheels fall off later. about 10 minutes before start, I sucked down a SIS gel and a bit of water.
Swim
  • 19m 30s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 36s / 100 meters
Comments:

This really is such a good spot to have a Tri.. Lake Placid is just lovely. My swim went ok.. I am ultimately happy because I didn't freak out and actually went past some people (which I was not expecting) I didn't really have good form, but hey, I made it.
What would you do differently?:

really try to concentrate more.. all the work in the pool to get it going just seems to fall out the window at a race. Navigation was off too.. could do much better.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

no dramas.. no time on this because I think it was added to the swim time. It was around 100 metres from the water to the bikes and boy was I sucking in the big ones.

nothing, everything went aok
Bike
  • 45m 26s
  • 20 kms
  • 26.41 km/hr
Comments:

well.. this is where the wheels fell off.. and I was actually wishing for a puncture or mechanical failure to happen.. I do not know what happened.. I just mentally fell apart. I wanted to pull out every 10 seconds.. it was just plain awful. I consider myself quite a strong cyclist, but I found myself coasting.. rolling.. and it was 100% mental. I think I really underestimate the mental side of training and really need to soul search. Ive done 20km TTs in 34 minutes.. following a swim.. so gee.. I just don't know.

brain transplant might be a good start.. it really is just mental toughness I need.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I felt really ordinary.. did not want to continue.. but did

T2 was fine
Run
  • 52m 54s
  • 5 kms
  • 10m 35s  min/km
Comments:

This was worse than the bike.. mentally I was in a horrible place. I walked many times.. and shuffled along the rest. One nice thing did happen.. when I come in on the second loop everyone was clapping thinging I was finishing, I then called out I still had half to go (1 km) I think everyone thought I was a straggler on the enticer distance. Then before I knew it, I had Emma running next to me.. she runs a boot camp group and was amazed I was doing the sprint distance. She managed to get me over the line and I thank her so much.

oh.. there is work to do
Post race
Warm down:

hands on knees for a little while.. then just sucked down some water. Sat down.. talked to Bronwyn, who I met at the last Tri I did in Cairns.. she was heaping praise on me for finishing and it was good to see her again as she give me heaps of support after my DNF last time.

Event comments:

Kudos to the Cairns Crocs big time.. they are such a good club. Heaps of support and everyone is there for the right reasons. This location is such a good place to run a Tri, I will be back for sure.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-11-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:30 | 750 meters | 02m 36s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/78
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: out and back in Lake Placid.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:26 | 20 kms | 26.41 km/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Little
Course: 5 laps of 4km. Tight street circuit with little opportunity to get aero. One nasty little rise followed by some nice downhill corners. Road is a little rough in areas, but generally a really good place for it.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:54 | 05 kms | 10m 35s  min/km
Performance: Bad
Course: 2km loop, dead flat. two and a half laps for the 5km distance.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes