Premeir Event Management
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 04m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/12
Pre-race routine:

4:30 wake up. Banana and 1 scoop heed. Water & alleve. Light stretching at house and race site. Biked (light spins) for about 5 minutes. Swam for about 5 minutes prior to race start.
Event warmup:

Stretching, bike spins, swimming. All brief & light exertion.
Swim
  • 55m 37s
  • 1500 meters
  • 03m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not bad for first open water swim and first race of this distance. Could have pushed harder, but didn't want to overdo it on the first leg of this race. Trying to save energy for the bike and run. Did not do a great job of sighting or keeping on track - went off course a few times, leading to slower swim time than I had estimated. Was hoping for about 50 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

More practice with sighting. Work more during training on speed drills. Push harder during the swim portion. More training with longer distances non-stop.
Transition 1
  • 05m 1s
Comments:

Felt a little disoriented coming out of the swim. Was one of the three last people in bike tranisiton and that was a bit disheartening. Don't know why my transition time was so bad here - didn't feel like I took that long - probably from cleaning off my feet and quads were sore so bending over to dry off and put on shoes was slow going.

Don't have sore quads on race day!
Bike
  • 1h 31m 36s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 16.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Went out too hard on the bike - not thinking straight regarding how long the course was. Expended too much energy from already tired legs about 1/3 of the way in.

Not have sore quads on race day! Every race I push too hard going out on the bike. Need to do the opposite - start more comfortably and kick it up later if I feel I can do so.
Transition 2
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

Legs felt like lead for T2 - had to walk bike to rack - really couldn't run. At this point was more concerned with just finishing, and not so much saving face from being slower than the average triathlete!

Not have sore quads on race day! Otherwise, T2 was fine.
Run
  • 1h 40m
  • 6.2 miles
  • 16m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Quads felt sore, but otherwise legs felt okay.

Not have sore quads on race day! More run training at a slow pace while building distance.
Post race
Warm down:

Pretty much just stopped dead in my tracks. Yep, that's about it. 2 scoops of recoverite on the ride home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sore quads. Lack of enough speed traning leading up to the race. Been focusing on endurance / building distance, but not speed and maybe also need more strength.

Event comments:

Was disappointed that the race organizers starting picking up signage and cones while people (like me!) were still trying to finish the course.

Biggest mistake I made was volunteering at Girl Power tri the day before and squatting down repeatedly during body marking and retrieving championchips. Wondering how much better I would have done with fresh legs. Oh well - live and learn! Still very proud of myself for finishing and not beating myself up (well at least not too bad) for being last to cross the finish. Even though my overall time might not be last, mentally it was hard and discouraging to be last across the finish line. I feel like I am in too good a shape to come in last.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:55:37 | 1500 meters | 03m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/12
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Zoot Tri Suit
Course: Warm water - very calm. Low visibility. Open water swim with wave starts on the beach. Swam out to 1 buoy, then back and forth 4 times between two buoys keeping pilings to our left at all times.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:01
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:31:36 | 24.8 miles | 16.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 10/
Wind: Some
Course: Double loop - Lakefront.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:32
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:40:00 | 06.2 miles | 16m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/
H.R. probably high - was running 4 min, walking 1 min the first 3.1 to make sure shins would be okay through the last half of the run. Not concerned about a good finish time at this point - just being able to finish without hurting my legs. Tried to think about the positives of the race so far to keep my mind off the upcomning 6.2 miles! Thought about pacing myself and having good form on the swim, getting through the (long) bike with sore legs, and keeping a good attitude - encouraging other racers and thanking the volunteers.
Course: Double loop - start near beach, run down lakeshore drive, to rbt e lee then back (2x).
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-06-03 9:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La
Subject: Nokia Sugar Bowl Triathlon

2005-06-03 10:00 PM
in reply to: #168396

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
Subject: RE: Nokia Sugar Bowl Triathlon

You made me proud!!! Pushed through the pain to finish your first Oly Tri.

You my hero!!

2005-06-04 6:58 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Congrats on finishing. You should be really proud as this distance is flat out tough and that run ate alot of people, myself included) alive. Very brave, first open water at this distance, most of us start out with much shorter swims.

I am not sure why Premier started taking stuff down early. They are usually more conscientious then this. Keep up the good work and hope to see you Sunday.

Ken
2005-06-04 10:10 AM

Online or Offline

Hi Joanne! I've been waiting to read your RR for this tri - missed it while away, and somehow stumbled late across your DFL post in the forums today! Thank you for sharing your race report and account of your tri in the other forum....

You are really an inspiring athlete! Keep up the awesome training, and relentless positive attitude! You'll definitely make that Ironman!

PS How very lucky of you to have Mr. joannh13 put your finisher's medal on you! That's so cool!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nokia Sugar Bowl Triathlon Rss Feed