Atlanta Track Club
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 1s
Overall Rank = 1375/
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 104/
Pre-race routine:

Had a protein smoothie and grabbed my gear to head up to a friend's house that's just a few minutes from the start. My one friend was going to drive me, her husband and another friend down to the start and then she was going to go to the finish to work the med tent.
Event warmup:

Not much here. Ever. Grouped up with training pals and shot the breeze. Had a couple of cups of water and shivered a little.
Run
  • 1h 47m 1s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out running with a friend of mine who is faster and felt that at some point he would drop me. This happened at about the second or third water stop which was up near the malls. I had to get some water and down my first gu. My running pal said he would just keep cruising. I started up again and figured we would never see each other for the duration. We were trying to keep pace with the 1:50 team and saw some of their drop-offs here and there. I continued down to the bottom of Heart Attack Hill and up the other side. Somewhere on top I noticed that the 1:50 Pace Team leaders were with me. I stayed with them up into midtown. They surged ahead of me and I thought that was it but once on the other side of tenth I began to leave them behind. I had other stops along the way and gu'd at the 9 mi. stop which is a typical favorite of mine. At Mile 11 I checked my Garmin and thought that not only could I PR but might hit a solid 1:45! Although I knew what was yet to come. Miles 11 - 12 are always a struggle for me on this course. Some significant climbing can really run me ragged and I was already above my LT for quite some time. I managed 11 which was my slowest mile since Heartbreak and continued on. Once I cleared 12 I felt like it was going to happen. I cruised down past the capital bldg and just wanted to manage the next steep pop until I could get onto Hank Aaron Drive. I must comment on one thing: that damn bridge over I-20 might as well be Hogpen! It is just a bump but feels like running in quicksand. Downhill to the finish and a real surprise finish for me. I PR'd all courses at this distance. And on what I believe is the toughest 1/2 Mary road race in the SE US. (I just missing catching the pal I started with by about 30 secs)
What would you do differently?:

Not much. A little more speed training will help. My Tuesday night hill/tempo w/o's have really paid off.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed my medal and mylar blanket. Hit the porta-john and then to the med tent to meet my friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just timing. This was a benchmark to see what I needed to do for ING Atlanta Marathon in March.

Event comments:

I always dig the minimalist vibe of this race. I will say that it has gotten much more organized with great volunteers and an overall more professional delivery of a great holiday tradition for me.

Last updated: 2009-11-27 12:00 AM
Running
01:47:01 | 13.1 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 104/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
8:33, 8:18, 8:05, 7:57, 8:13, 7:46, 7:41, 8:40, 8:08, 8:01, 8:16, 8:10, 7:34.
Course: Standard ATL ballbreaker. Run fast til you get to a big ditch. Run down one side and up the other. Sprint to the finish. This is a pain in the ass tough 1/2 Mary.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-11-27 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Atlanta Half Marathon

2009-11-28 11:46 AM
in reply to: #2533523

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Atlanta Half Marathon
Great race.  Awesome that you pulled out a PR too.  I have usually steered clear of this race because of the weather and difficulty of the course, but it turned out to be a nice run.  I agree with you; tough course.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Atlanta Half Marathon Rss Feed