United States
Atlanta Track Club
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 54m 49s
Overall Rank = 2456/8578
Age Group = Male
Age Group Rank = 1748/4311
Pre-race routine:

Drove to Turner Field, Marta up to Chamblee station, high tailed it to the start line. Missed my coral group, so ended up starting 10 minutes after the clock began.
Event warmup:

How do you warmup for a 13 mile run?
Run
  • 1h 54m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out a bit fast in the first 2 miles, averaging around 7:45, had to pull it back. Up until mile 6 it was pretty uneventful, running down Peachtree looking at expensive houses and whatnot. At mile 6 or 7 the mills started, and that's when the fatigue set in. Heart rate was fine, breathing was good for the entire event, I just eventually had trouble turning the legs over. All uphill till the end, when I got to the Capital I let the hammer drop and was doing 7:30 miles. yea, not too fast, but at the end of a half, I thought I was doing well
What would you do differently?:

Lack of run training. This happens every time. I can not seem to stick with any type of run plan like I can do (a bit better) with a tri specific plan. So yea, I signed up a week before the race and had not really trained, longest training run was 6 miles.

Since I dont do proper training, I am beginning to notice some alarming things. I got hurt yet again in this race. At first I thought it was a stress fracture in my right foot, but after a few days of icing and rest, the pain has significantly subsided. I think I just pulled a tendon or bruised a ligament of something. Point is that a) IM training is going to be a lot harder than I had originally speculated and b) I need to stick with a plan like its sacred if I dont want to get injured and miss out on the event. I need to start training smarter so that I can race faster. End of discussion.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the bag pickup, got my stuff and walked to the car. Light stretching before a 1.5 hour drive to dinner :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, pain in foot, knees, and hips.

Event comments:

2nd year doing it, I will definitely make a tradition of the event.

Last updated: 2009-08-20 12:00 AM
Running
01:54:49 | 13.1 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/4311
Overall: 0/8578
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]