General Discussion Race Reports! » North Face Endurance Challenge 10K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

North Face Endurance Challenge 10K - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sausalito, California
United States
The North Face
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 48s
Overall Rank = 157/214
Age Group = F 21-29
Age Group Rank = 27/35
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 7:30, had oatmeal and a banana and drove with hubby to the Marin Headlands. Parked and took the shuttle to the start line/race expo. Hung out at the GGTC tent, cheered for the half marathoners when they started then tried to stay warm before our race started at 10:15.
Event warmup:

Stretching, jogging to and from the porta toilets, had a Gu.
Run
  • 1h 19m 48s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 12m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow, this was no joke. I didn't train specifically for this race, it was going to be my long run this week for my half marathon training. My goal was finish, have fun, support all the other GGTC members who were running (the 10k, half mary, 50k and 50 mile options) and try to finish in 1:20. I had no idea how close I would cut it!

Started out in a nice groove until we hit the hill. Which seemed to go.straight.up. Then everyone started walking. It was a mix of walking and jogging at a 12:00 pace for the next 3 miles up the hill. Then a slight flat part along the ridge line, the aid station (where we merged with the half marathoners) and then a fast downhill to the finish. Stunning views but I was in too much pain for most of it to pay attention.

My Garmin ended up saying 6.8 miles rather than 6.2 which makes me wonder how accurate the course was. If it was 6.8 then I was significantly faster per mile than the results show.
What would you do differently?:

Run hills! Lots and lots of steep hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Some stretching, had a bagel and a beer (mmm carbs) and hung around for a bit to see the first 50k and 50 mile finishers come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running is still my weakness but I'm starting to see some nice gains so I'm pleased with how this went. I need to be running lots of hills and longer distances if I want to be able to push it in a race like this.

Event comments:

Really fun race. They started the half mary and 10k a bit late but it was no big deal. The awards ceremonies were cool, and they had Dean Karnazes handing out the awards which was really great. Was fun to hang out at our tent and chat with GGTCers.

Last updated: 2009-10-07 12:00 AM
Running
01:19:48 | 06.2 miles | 12m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/35
Overall: 157/214
Performance: Average
Course: Up the side of a mountain for 4 miles and back down the other side. First and last little bits of the course were flat, everything else was up or down hill a lot. Wide fire roads, so no technical single track.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes