Scallywompus Sports
23F / -5C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 18m 10s
Overall Rank = 71/184
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/10
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am and had a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter, some coffee and then water. The drive to Huntsville was about an hour.
Event warmup:

It was 23 degrees and I could barely move because of the cold. And we were doing 31 miles so I figured the a warm-up really wasn't all the necessary!
Run
  • 6h 18m 10s
  • 31.07 miles
  • 12m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I've posted a detailed RR at my blog: http://danglethecarrot.blogspot.com. Will give a short one here. The first two loops were an absolute blast. The trail running community is a friendly, talkative bunch. As I met a bunch of interesting people that were more than happy to share their trail experiences with a first timer like myself.

At about mile 22 I was still feeling very strong when I slipped on a root and felt a pain shoot from my right heal all the way up into my shoulder. My IT band took the brunt of that and it hurt the rest of the way. By mile 26 or 27 my left quad and knee started to really tighten up, probably because I was favoring the right leg and the left leg must of have enough. I had five miles to go and the pain was pretty bad. It hurt worse to walk then run so I did this shuffle thing for the next 5 miles to the finish.

It has been two days since the race and my legs are still sore as can be but I had an absolute blast. The injury sucked but it is what it is and I sucked it up and finished. This was my first trail race and would highly recommend experiencing this if you get a chance!
What would you do differently?:

Be more careful on the slick roots, they can be dangerous!
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some pizza and tried to stretch out the legs. Got to the car and sat there fir awhile just enjoying the heater! I think the temp only got up to maybe 44 degrees.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My sore IT Band and Quad!

Event comments:

Very fun race. Everyone was very laid back and it felt like a big party as opposed to s serious race. I had a wonderful time and can't wait to do this again next year.

Last updated: 2009-11-16 12:00 AM
Running
06:18:10 | 31.07 miles | 12m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 71/184
Performance: Average
My avg HR for the 31 miles was 148. I burned 3645 calories according to my Garmin.
Course: It was a 6.5 mile loop. Followed by a 12.3 mile loop and then a repeat of the 12.4 mile loop. The trails were very very different and very cool. Hills, roots, wooden bridges, sand, stones, asphalt .. little bit of everything.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes