MRTC
28F / -2C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 59m 43s
Overall Rank = 50/2448
Age Group = 30-34m
Age Group Rank = 14/232
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in a downtown hotel even though my house is less than 30 minutes form start.
Up at 6. Bagel,PB honey,banana,coffee, sip gatorade. Shower. Bathroom many times. Stretch.
Tried to calm my wife down as she was running her first half marathon.
Event warmup:

Met up with friends Tom and Melissa and walked from hotel to start. Used porta potty and walked to corral#2. Saw my buddy Dexter and another friend Jack. Talked to them until gun went off.
Threw away my sweatshirt that I wore to the start. Under 30F for the start, but about 40-45F by finish.
Run
  • 2h 59m 43s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 06m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I wore 2 pair of gloves with those hand warmer packs in between, because my hands get so cold, so I had trouble hitting the lap button on my Timex at the right times. Any, I will use splits per the St Jude Marathon website.
Started out near the 3:00 pace group with the intention of letting them go on by as I wanted 6:55-7:00 miles to start. However, much to my surprise, mile 1 was 7:24 and the pacer was right beside me, so I knew I needed to make up some time without going too hard. Pacer picked it up, but I let him and his group go ahead.
First 10k seemed fairly easy-42:32. I decided to try and run relaxed until the halfway point then pick up the pace.
I tucked in several seconds behind a group of half marathoners led by the local invitation only "elite" triathlon team about mile 5 or so.
We turned right into a park near the zoo. I'm clicking along behind these guys at a sub 7:00 pace looking at the ground and at some point between mile 8 and 9....WHAM!! I feel like a run into a telephone pole. As it turns out, one of these guys has stopped dead in the middle of the road to pick up something that he dropped, and I made square contact into his shoulder with my front tooth. It almost knocks me out, I see stars, make sure my tooth is still there, stretch my neck, CUSS REAL LOUD, and try to come to my senses. It took me about a mile or more to finally calm down as I knew I had bigger goals than to worry about this moron. Anyway, I passed them and looked back several times, showing my displeasure.
Mile 10-13.1 I tried to stay relaxed and calculate what it will take from there to sub 3.
1:30:55 at the halfway point. I knew, I have about 2 minutes to make up at about 10 seconds per mile. I felt pretty good though and picked up the pace. I saw a friend, Marty at mile 14 stretching his back and feeling pretty bad. I encouraged him and plodded on. He tells me that the 3 hour pacers are right up ahead and that they are on pace. I see them and a group of about 5 a minute or 2 ahead. Miles 14-20 are all 6:41-6:59 with most in the 6:40's.
It is at some point here that I think of Daremo telling me that Sub 3 "Aint" gonna happen-THANKS FOR THE MOTIVATION, RICK! I remember this form this point until the finish.
2:17:48 at the 20 mile mark. I still felt pretty good and decided to give it a go. During the second half of the race I probably passed 25 people and never got passed. I knew I needed a 42 minute 10k to get to sub 3.
I dug in and felt pretty good until about mile 25. I still felt OK at mile 25, but the fatigue was setting in. By mile 26 the 3:00 pace group now consisted of the pacer only. I never caught him, but he finished about :20 seconds ahead of me. The finish is in Autozone park. The racers enter the outfield fence and run around the warning track, down the baseline to the finish. When I entered the park, I saw my buddy TBone cheering for me and sprinted for the finish as I knew I had met the sub 3 goal!
Final 10k 41:55
Final time 2:59:43.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Meet up with wife and friends. Hurry back to hotel to warm up. My hands were freezing despite the 2 pr gloves as they had gotten wet from spilling water!

Last updated: 2009-12-07 12:00 AM
Running
02:59:43 | 26.2 miles | 06m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/232
Overall: 232/2448
Performance: Good
Course: Clockwise from downtown out east back to downtown, then back counterclockwise.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-12-07 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olive Branch, MS
Subject: St. Jude Memphis Marathon

2009-12-07 7:50 PM
in reply to: #2546609

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: St. Jude Memphis Marathon
Nice job  wow!    In my opinion, as soon as you go under 3 hours for a marathon, you become an "elite" runner.  Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Jude Memphis Marathon Rss Feed