General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock n Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock n Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Las Vegas, Nevada
United States
34F / 1C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 34m 23s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, had a small breakfast bar and found all my warm running clothes.
Event warmup:

Walked to the race start (Mandalay Bay) from my hotel (Excalibur) then wandered around in my corral.
Run
  • 2h 34m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

First off I'm not a runner. I'm a fast jogger at best and while I did XC and track (mostly field events) in high school I stopped running after that. Now, a decade later I've finished a half marathon and I'm looking forward to training for a full marathon!
This was my first major race and I hadn't seen the corral system used before. It was crazy being packed in there and I had to really pay attention in the first 5 miles because I was passing people like crazy. I think there were a lot of walkers who didn't accurately gauge how fast they were. It was hard not to go tripping over them!
About 5 miles in I was still on a solid pace and 4 minutes AHEAD of my pace time so I felt great but was dismayed by the water stations. Being a slower running I was getting there after the majority and a lot of tables were closed down.
By mile 7 we were into the really shady parts of Vegas but there were cops everywhere so I wasn't too worried. At mile 8 a drunk and/or homeless guy wandered onto the course and was asking people what they were doing! After that we were back within the confines of the Strip and there were tons of people cheering for us. By this point I was running 4 minutes and walking 1 but managed to run the last half mile into the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

I would have done my long runs prior to the race. I had only done 2 8.5 milers and the rest were all only 6.5 max. I think this hindered my confidence as well as my ability to keep going while tired.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal and space blanket and wandered around the race festivities. I made myself walk back to my hotel then stretched for a few minutes.

Last updated: 2009-08-29 12:00 AM
Running
02:34:23 | 13.1 miles | 11m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 157 Max HR: 178
Course: Super flat! Takes you through the best parts of the Strip. I got to see the fireworks go off twice before my corral started then the pyrotechnics went off at Treasure Island as I ran by the first time.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes