Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 58s
Overall Rank = 80/1365
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/75
Pre-race routine:

Carpooled with a friend that morning.
Event warmup:

Did my usual warmup routine - ran slowly for a few minutes to get my core body temperature up. Then did some pick-ups to race pace. Finally stretched, shed myself of my warmup clothes, and tried to keep myself warm.
Run
  • 1h 36m 58s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

After a tough week (I was really tired after Friday's workout), the rest day helped a LOT yesterday. I woke up prepared and did the warmup and stretched out with plenty of time and space to drop off my warmup clothes at the bag drop and still work my way to the front of the starting group.

Course organization was great. Felt good doing the 7:45 min/mi pace for the first 10 miles. It was a bit rolling, so some miles I was going a bit faster, and some miles a bit slower, but overall, I hit the target and kept my running under control. Paced myself alongside a bunch of Santa Clarita Running Club people for a while who told me about the last part of the course, so I knew what to expect in terms of finishing.

At mile 10, I went faster and felt strong. It was mostly downhill from there with a few short climbs to get over the pedestrian bridges. I did the last 5K in about 20:26, which is a pretty solid 6:36 pace. Felt fine afterward during my cool down.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing - this race I felt like I executed my plan perfectly, as it was a warmup for my first marathon several weeks later.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged slowly for about a mile or two to cool down then stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Holding myself back.

Event comments:

Good local course, well organized.

Last updated: 2009-12-08 12:00 AM
Running
01:36:58 | 13.1 miles | 07m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/75
Overall: 80/1365
Performance: Good
Overall 80/1365 Men 69/638 M30-34 5/75 Age/Grade 61.08% Place 236 Official tag finish: 1:36:58 (7:24 Pace)
Course: Rolling course through the City of Santa Clarita, mostly on the bike path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes