Akron Children's Hospital
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 35m 4s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The race didn't start until 1:45, so nutrition was kind of tricky for me. I ate a regular breakfast and then drank lots of powerade- hoping to get some calories in me and stay hydrated.
Event warmup:

Zoe ran her first race- a 1 mile fun run before my race. It was fun to cheer her on.
Run
  • 35m 4s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

1st 5k race - didn't really know how to pace myself, especially in the heat. When I went to hear Jeff Galloway a couple of weeks ago, he said that for every 5 degrees over 60, you need to take 30 seconds off your pace. According to that formula, I should have run my miles 3 minutes slower than I normally do.

I tried to keep it slow, but ran the first mile in about 9:30. That pace probably would have been perfect, but not in 90 deg. weather. After mile 1, I was really hurting and started taking walk breaks. The walk breaks didn't brink my HR down very much and it was really hard to get myself running again.

I've heard people say that you should push yourself hard enough in a race that you can run accross the finish line and then feel like you're going to puke (or actually puke). Well, I didn't puke, but I sure did feel like crap after the run. I definately gave it my all.
What would you do differently?:

Take fuel belt. There were 2 water stops, but I didn't want to upset my stomach by taking in too much water at one time. I would have been much better off to sip water throughout the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Bill and the kids were all hot and miserable by the time I was done. We went to Sheetz and I finally got my chili cheese hot dog- not the best post-race nutrition, but I had watched the kids eat hot dogs for lunch, and I so wanted one!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

heat- it hardly ever gets this hot here, and I certainly don't exercise mid-day when it does!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-06-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:35:04 | 03.1 miles | 11m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
1st mile was 9:58 (but 30 seconds of that was me getting to the starting line- I started way in the back)
Course: closed course from Children's Hospital, over the highway, through a cemetery and back.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-06 8:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio
Subject: Kids Are #1 Run

2005-06-06 8:01 PM
in reply to: #169285

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Kids Are #1 Run
Nice race!! You Rock!!

I wish I could run that fast even anytime hot, cold or whatever...keep up the good work...watch out Tri world here you come!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kids Are #1 Run Rss Feed