General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water swim training in cold climates? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-09 12:05 PM

User image

Regular
Manhattan, NY
Subject: Open water swim training in cold climates?

I am thinking about doing the Knoxville Rev3 either olympic or half IM in May, and I'm not concerned about getting in shape, but mostly the difference between swim training in a pool vs. open water.  I'm in pretty solid shape, and don't think I'd have a problem swimming either distance, its just that the open water aspect would be completely new to me.  Unfortunately, I will be coming from NYC, where the waters are not exactly ideal for open water swimming.  I've never done open water before, but grew up as a swimmer, so I feel confident I would be fine.  Any insight into this conundrum?  

The other thing that makes this race appealing, is that my work takes me to India probably a week after that May 8-9 race, until August, so I don't have the luxury of doing all the warm summer races or utilizing summer weather to train for open water swims.  I kind of have to work with the reverse triathlon season unfortunately!

2009-12-09 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2550565

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: RE: Open water swim training in cold climates?
I would just get as much swim training as you can in the pool. You can work on sighting in the pool by lifting your head every 3 or 4 strokes and spotting a water bottle on the edge of the pool. Closing your eyes for 4 or 5 strokes with a sighting stroke is good training as well. The main thing is that you are in good swimming shape and are comfortable with the distances.

When I talk to triathletes about the swim portion of a sprint or olympic distance race I recommend a 750 m warm-up building to a 1500 m warm-up before the main set of the workout. This way when you get to your race, mentally you are just doing a warm-up. If you have the time, build up to a 2000 yd warm-up before a main set.

You'll do what needs to be done to get you ready for the race. Good luck!!
2009-12-09 6:05 PM

User image

Regular
Manhattan, NY
Thanks for the reassurances Bob!  I figure I should probably give the wetsuit a try in the pool then beforehand, or just try to get to the site a couple days ahead to at least get the 'feeling' of the open water.  You can't actually replicate the egg beater effect of a hundred arms and legs hitting you though, I suppose!
2009-12-09 6:15 PM
in reply to: #2551431

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
triscott26 - 2009-12-09 7:05 PM Thanks for the reassurances Bob!  I figure I should probably give the wetsuit a try in the pool then beforehand, or just try to get to the site a couple days ahead to at least get the 'feeling' of the open water.  You can't actually replicate the egg beater effect of a hundred arms and legs hitting you though, I suppose!

LOL! Funny you should mention that. The local high school coach just had Alex Meyer (USA National OWS Team, did the 25K at Worlds in Italy this year!) come and speak to them. He demonstrated the start by having 12 of them tread water at the end of the pool IN ONE LANE and said GO!!!! That pretty much simulated the washing machine.

And remember, whether there are 200 or 2000 people at the start of the race there are only 6 or 8 at a time that are actually around you.
2009-12-10 4:10 AM

User image

Regular
Manhattan, NY
Awesome! I'll have to get a dozen of my friends (swimmers and non) to try to swim a lap with me
2009-12-10 7:18 AM

User image

Regular
I swim at the local college and in the evenings they take out the lap lane ropes and a bunch of college kids get in the pool.  The lifeguard tries to make sure the kids give the lap swimmers their space, but the kids are jumping in the water, doing cannonballs, and surfing on styrofoam boards.  The water without the lane ropes gets very choppy and it kind of reminds me of OW swimming.  I don't know how many times I have been hit in the head with the body boards or jumped on.  I swallow a lot of water too.  I guess that would be good practice.

jami  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water swim training in cold climates? Rss Feed