Mexico
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 53m 52s
Overall Rank = 329/
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 66/
Pre-race routine:

This was my first ever Ironman. Also did my first ever half this year as well, so didn't have anything special for the pre-race. Woke up at 4 and ate a bagel with peanut butter, took 3 salt tablets and ate a banana. Had a cup of coffee and sipped on water until 5 when we got in the cab for the race sight.
Event warmup:

Lots of pictures and sweet dance moves to the music that was blasting. Early on, there was a disco-type light, so that got the party started obviously. Walked on the dock, got in and waited for the start.
Swim
  • 1h 01m 32s
  • 4156 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was amazing. There was a lot of talk about current/length of swim, etc. Prior to the start, I figured an average swim would be 1:05, good, around 1:02 and bad around 1:08.
What would you do differently?:

Go out harder and definitly draft better. I tend to settle into too easy of a rythm. Also, not have one of my goggles leak and swim half with only one eye, since the saltwater stung.
Transition 1
  • 07m 45s
Comments:

I really took my time here. The change tent was full, so I went in, than out and applied body glide everywhere...while there was a camera guy filming me. I think he eventually noticed what I was doing and then turned the camera away. I also helped someone with sunscreen and got help myself.

I could have been a little quicker. I had too much stuff in my t-1 bag.
Bike
  • 6h 13m 14s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Got on the bike and was crusing along at about 22-23 miles per hour thinking how easy this was. Someone by me said the same thing as he was passing. Then, a little headwind, slowed down to about 19 or so. Turned along the coast, no protection, cross/head winds were strong and got stronger as the day went (3 laps). I was starting to go 15-16 on this section (13 miles). Saw a lot of people really straining and I think this hurt them. I managed to take it easy the entire ride, perhaps too easy, but the wind was tough. Initially, I thought I'd go around 5:35-5:40, even with some wind. Wasn't prepared for this wind though. I also lost 10 minutes trying to find my special needs bag, but oh well.

Go out a little harder. I left some out there, but it was my first Ironman and my run is usually my weakpoint. Well, I ended up (ranking-wise) having my run be my best for this race. Also, for some reason my feet were killing me. I rode the last 4 miles with my feet out of my shoes.
Transition 2
  • 05m 39s
Comments:

Took my time, was starting to get sore from the bike, applied "warming" body glide...not a good idea for sore areas.
Run
  • 4h 25m 42s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I had planned on running between 8:45-9 minutes per mile and this was what I started out at for the first loop. Second loop, I started to walk the aid stations to get fluids. I was sick of gels and gatorade, so everything I took was from the stations, which was bananas, oranges and coke. I bet I ate 10 bananas, 15 oranges and 9 cans of coke. The second loop was closer to 10 minutes/mile. The last loop, I started to slow down and was closer to 11 min./mile. For some reason, with two miles left, I got re-energized and ran it in at sub 8:30/mile, passing a lot of people. What a great experience.

I was only able to get one run further than 13 miles since March 2008, so I would train for the run a little better. Also, work on pacing. I had some left at the end, but I also didn't want to have to walk it in.
Post race
Warm down:

LOOOOONG massage, pizza and walking aroiund barefoot to get my stuff cause my feet hurt so bad.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wasn't able to train as much as I would have liked, but I'm happy.

Event comments:

Great race, especially the swim venue.

Last updated: 2009-12-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:01:32 | 4156 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 90/
Overall: 447/
Performance: Good
Suit: xterra skin suit
Course: Amazingly beautiful ocean swim. Could see to the bottom and everyone around you.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:13:14 | 112 miles | 18.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 86/
Overall: 436/
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: 3 loops. 40 miles of really gusty cross/head winds.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal