General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Monkey International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Iron Monkey International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log
Miami, Fl
United States
Multirace
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 52m 49s
Overall Rank = 116/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 33/
Pre-race routine:

I didn't sleep well. I was leaving with a group who was sponsoring the race and had to be there by 5am. I only slept 3 hours.
Event warmup:

I got there very early. It was raining. I got a great spot at the transition area. I walked around got familiar with all the sports. No much warm up a little stretching and swimming.
Swim
  • 27m 10s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

I sucked on the swiming. I kept loosing my direction, I couldn't control my breathing. The first .2 miles were a dissaster. I think I was the last in my category but at least I wasn't the last out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Practice, practice, practice...
Transition 1
  • 05m
Comments:

I was slow. I took the time and talked to Jim a little... I needed that. I was nervous after the swim. Placed 145 overall on T1, 11 on my age group.

Practice a little more. Concentrate.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 32s
  • 22 miles
  • 19.26 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt great on the bike. It was nice after the swimming dissapointment. It was a great idea of Jim to get new tires for the race. Specialized Pro.. blue, really fast tires. My stomach was acting up and I felt like puking. I was full of gas :( I got my gels on time and I had energy although I slowed down at the end.

Nothing, train a little more but I cannot believe I did so well after only 3 month training on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

Slow here. I had to change my socks b/c they were soaked! I was nervous and had to take off watch to carry my GPS...

Practice, practice
Run
  • 1h 09m 35s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 10m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

The first mile was hard. It started pouring but it was better than the heat. I was tired but my legs felt great. I was a little slow overall. I stopped getting gels and switched to Amino for quick energy. It worked. The last 2 miles I got a second air and I got to the finish line fresh.

Practice bricks, run more.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much I was happy to finish. I didn't feel all that well, didn't want to eat much.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was nervous on the swim and was affraid to be last. This was not a beginners race, most people there have been there before. Then my stomach started acting up. I has gas and the gels did not agree with me.

Event comments:

Overall It was a good race, I got there at 5am and there was no much organization. It got better by 6am. Nice friendly people at the tables, some participants didn't want to follow orders and some volunteers got really mad. The courses were measured well.
For next race:
Copertone sunblock continuous spray is great but the numbers smeared b/c of the alcohol. Bring a flashlight, bug spray, a raincoat and leave your spare clothes on the car. My transition bag rocked!

Last updated: 2005-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:10 | 1056 yards | 02m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/
Overall: 135/
Performance: Below average
Suit: no
Course: Freshware lake swimming. It shouldn't be hard but it was. The course is sort of a rectangle, 6 Big orange ballon buoys at 0.1 miles from each other. The organizers advertised you would go clockwise, in real life they did it counter clockwise. The half iron distance had to do the loop twice, get out of the water after first loop and start all over again.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 05:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:08:32 | 22 miles | 19.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/
Overall: 109/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Open course with police guarding major intersections. I felt strong, It wasn't raining. 2 guys were drafting off me, I got really mad. Could you believe that! I saw a lot of people getting flats, I guess the rain scatered debris on the roas the night before.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:28
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:09:35 | 06.5 miles | 10m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/
Overall: 125/
Performance: Average
Course: Mixed course unpaved, paved and along the zoo. It was nice but you have to follow the cones.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-06-06 10:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Subject: Iron Monkey International Triathlon

2005-06-06 12:29 PM
in reply to: #169378

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Iron Monkey International Triathlon
Nice race report-fantastic job on the race...Your bike leg was awesome!!!  I'm so impressed you did an olympic for your first. 
2005-06-08 10:01 AM

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu, HI
Fantastic job, triathlete!! Badass doing an Oly as your first race, seriously... and as others have mentioned, you were flyin' on the bike!

Well done!
2005-06-08 10:37 AM

Veteran
Alabama
You had a tremendous swim!! Congrats on a job well-done!!
You should be very proud!!

K
2005-06-09 12:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Thank you guys... The swimming was shorter than regular oly distance. It sucked but oh well, another reason to train more.
This week I am doing nothing, recovering in style.... If I could only control this shaking.... you know, withdrawal symptoms from lack of training... LOL
2005-06-09 1:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good job! Doing half the race (or more) in rainy conditions had to be sapping as well.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Monkey International Triathlon Rss Feed